which software to run?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 21" 1tb
I have just purchased microsoft office mac, home and student, didnt realise it was a microsoft product( was in a hurry) is iwork a better product? I have only just bought a mac after years on a pc, so everything is new again, would mainly use software for letters and presentations, any guidance would be a great help, thank you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Interesting..so the "Microsoft" in MS Offce Mac didn't give it away huh? :)

Either way..give OpenOffice a shot and see if that will suffice and if not, by all mean try iWork. Are you trying to get away from MS Office purely because it's a MS product or because there's something you don't like about it?

Regards

OP
dave.s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 21" 1tb
is openoffice a free download?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz 4gb Ram 500gb HD
Yes. OpenOffice is an Open source client... It's free.

Reaction score
I like Office, but when I got my MacBook in Sept., the sales rep convinced me to give iWork a try. It was only $40 or so if I bought it with the machine. I am a teacher, and also taking some grad. classes, and so far I have used iWork with no problems at all. I am able to save everything as Word and even PowerPoint documents, and they all open and work fine in Windows. Takes a little getting used to, and there is no clip-art like in Office, but so far so good!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Stick with Office, install, verify and update and it will work very nicely and without the slowness of these free programs. Like life, you gets what you pays for. Clip Art is there, go to Insert and select from the drop down window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.