How To Create A Download? Who Knows?

E

ebookes

Hello. I want to know how to create my own download? Please help me understand how to do this... I work on a MAC. I have os 10.3. thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
What do you mean you want to create your own download?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Throw the file on your idisk create a .mac file sharing website and distrubite the download like to places like mac update and version tracker

OP
E

ebookes

Answer: How would I write my own download?

trpnmonkey41 said:
What do you mean you want to create your own download?
In other words... I want to write an article and have someone click on that article and download it to their computer. How does that happen?

It may seem like a simple answer.. but I really don't know how to do that so how does that work. Does anyone reading this know and can help me understand this?
thanks...

OP
E

ebookes

The Light Did Not Turn On For Me

benjamindaines said:
Throw the file on your idisk create a .mac file sharing website and distrubite the download like to places like mac update and version tracker

What is a .mac file? That may seem silly but I really don't know. I use appleworks to create my documents...I have Quark also. I am not familiar with version tracker but I will look into that. I am unaware of "mac update" too.

Bottom line is that I would like to learn how to take my own documents and make it so others can download them.

Please advise. I am still at a loss... thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
ebookes said:
What is a .mac file?

there is no such thing as a .mac file. What i ment was when you make a .mac home page to set up a file sharing site.

OP
E

ebookes

How To Download

benjamindaines said:
there is no such thing as a .mac file. What i ment was when you make a .mac home page to set up a file sharing site.

I use Dreamweaver when I create pages for my websites...All I want to do is learn how to create a download file so I can put it on my website and others download my information. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If you have a website already all you need to do is upload the files to your server and create a link to the files

OP
M

macattak

yes, for example, its called article.doc

Upload the file onto your site, then make a link to yoursite.com/directory/article.doc

a window will up asking them if they want to download it, or not.

OP
E

embries

many people have .doc and .txt set to display in their browser, so it won't prompt them to download the file. You could compress it (.zip, .sit, .rar) and then it will prompt them to download, elsewise they need to right-click (option-click) it and choose save file.

Reaction score
al you need to do is create a link to the file and when any one opens it up it will ask them to eathor DL it or open it with ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
omg I can't speak noobish sorry if this is offensive.

OP
D

damontgo

even if their browser is formatted to read .txt or .doc then they can always just File -> Save As

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
ebooks...by download...did you mean a safe way to allow people download your ebook for a specific period of time or # of times? Please elaborate. If it's the above, I can definitely help you out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
jeez can't someone act stupid anymore......fine I'll try not to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.