[iBook G4] There is one obvious solution here

Dex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 ghz C2D 4 GB RAM
That is buy a new computer.

However, that is not an option. A few months ago I replaced the hard drive on my iBook G4 with a bigger, non failing one. It worked fine for a few weeks. Now I'm having some pretty serious issues.

When plugged into the wall, the charge light cycles from charged to charging every 45 seconds or so. Prior to this happening, it was on regular charge cycles and maintaining a 2.5 to 3 hour battery life. This was not a gradual change. This just started happening.

Around the same time, I noticed that the computer will not save anything that I try and download. If I try to download a torrent, it will just say it's corrupt and not download it. If I try and download a purchased MP3 from iTunes, I have the same problem. I can download the MP3 from my iPhone, but the computer will typically lock up when transferring purchased items from my phone to my computer. Right now, it is trying to transfer podcast 1 of 44 to computer and has been stuck on this one for 20 minutes now.

Photos transfer to the computer without a problem. Otherwise I'd assume I did something wrong when I put the new hard drive in. Anyone have any ideas? The computer is pretty much only used for downloading songs for my iPod, and just keeping iPhone backups and that sort of stuff. I have a desktop I use daily. If I have to do something drastic but cheap, I'm not opposed to it.

In exchange for help getting my old laptop up and running again, I'll share pics of my adorable little lab puppy I got instead of a new computer O:). Thanks all.

OP
D

Dex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'd be looking at repairing disk permissions and repairing disk booted off your install disc.
Also here's a good troubleshooting list to go through click here
Post back and let us no how it goes.

Pawpaw-83.jpg

OP
D

Dex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How adorable?
super adorable
I'd be looking at repairing disk permissions and repairing disk booted off your install disc.
Also here's a good troubleshooting list to go through click here
Post back and let us no how it goes.
I tried to repair the disk permissions like you said and opened up disk utility. The message I get is this:
"This drive has reported a fatal harware error to Disk Utility. If the drive has not failed completely, back up as much data as you can and then replace it with a working drive".

I don't understand. I just put this disk in a few months ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It must have been a faulty HD!
Was it a new HD?

OP
D

Dex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It must have been a faulty HD!
Was it a new HD?
brand new in a sealed box from best buy.

could something in the computer be causing the hard drives to fail?

C

chas_m

Hi Dex!

I used to live in Orlando. Many friends and family there. Now I'm in Victoria BC.

I loves me the later iBook G4s, but my friend I have bad news for you. From the sound of things, you're going to need a replacement computer.

Sorry to be the bringing of bad tidings, but it sounds to me like you have multiple issues going on there. I'm disinclined to think the HD itself is bad (though it probably is by now), but was made bad via interruptions of power. I think your DC inverter is probably going south. Could even be the logic board, but DC inverter board is more likely.

You can fix this (if that's indeed the problem), but this thing has officially become a money pit IMO.

However, I do have one string I can yet pull: if you're anywhere near Winter Park, visit Connecting Point on Fairbanks. Tell them you're a forum buddy of Chas, and ask them to take a quick look as you demonstrate the issue. Craig (the senior tech) will let you know what's up better than I can from here, and give you his honest opinion on how much it will take to fix it or whether its time to move on.

Let us know what happens!

OP
D

Dex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dex!

I used to live in Orlando. Many friends and family there. Now I'm in Victoria BC.

I loves me the later iBook G4s, but my friend I have bad news for you. From the sound of things, you're going to need a replacement computer.

Sorry to be the bringing of bad tidings, but it sounds to me like you have multiple issues going on there. I'm disinclined to think the HD itself is bad (though it probably is by now), but was made bad via interruptions of power. I think your DC inverter is probably going south. Could even be the logic board, but DC inverter board is more likely.

You can fix this (if that's indeed the problem), but this thing has officially become a money pit IMO.

However, I do have one string I can yet pull: if you're anywhere near Winter Park, visit Connecting Point on Fairbanks. Tell them you're a forum buddy of Chas, and ask them to take a quick look as you demonstrate the issue. Craig (the senior tech) will let you know what's up better than I can from here, and give you his honest opinion on how much it will take to fix it or whether its time to move on.

Let us know what happens!
Canada, eh? I used to live in Buffalo and about 10 minutes from Ontario. I'd love to live out where you do.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense. Back when I was originally looking into replacing the hard drive I read about some problems with that. I also read about an easy, cheap way to fix that DC inverter issue. I'll have to see if I can find that writeup again. I've effectively written the laptop off as a loss, and therefore have no issue pulling it apart at this point to try some quick fixes.

I know exactly where you're talking about in Winter Park. I work at the Best Buy on Colonial in downtown Orlando, so I'm not far from Winter Park most days. I'll definitely stop in and talk to them.

Thanks so much for the info Chas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.