Please may you advise me on a potential purchase.

Reaction score
I am a Mac virgin, but have been offered the following package. All I really require are excellent design and photoshop packages - anything else is a bonus. Please may you take a look at these details and let me know how much you think I should pay - preferably in GBP (Sterling), although I can obviously (easily) convert any amount from dollars online. A description of the benefits would be greatly appreciated. It is in mint condition and comes with the original box. Any help is gratefully appreciated. Many thanks...

20inch G5 1.8ghz Imac
1.5gb Ram
150gb HD
Airport Extreme Card
Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
Cannon A4 scanner
EyeTV 2 digital tuner
JBL Creature 2 speakers

Software
MacOSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Adobe CS3 & CS4 Extended
Extensis Suitcase Fusion 2
iLife 08 & 10

2.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
According to Mac2Sell its worth just the iMac

20100210-xj9s6dae2tp5tddy68i5gbm2ai.jpg

Check the site out.
On the others software and all the extra's maybe go onto ebay and get a rough estimate..
Do you have a price they want you to pay ??

C

chas_m

iLife 10 does not exist. I assume you meant "09" :)
Also, including Snow Leopard is nonsensical, as that machine cannot run it. I have to say that the sellers' inclusion of it raises a "red flag" with me.

In your description of the non-Apple software included, you do not mention if you are getting the original disks and a transferred registration. If you are not getting those things, don't include them in your offer and don't accept them from the seller. You will also need to insist on the original DVDs/CDs that came with the machine for restorative purposes (believe me, the day will come when you will need them!).

Mac2Sell.net values the computer itself (with RAM and HD, airport etc accounted for) at £260, but given its condition, the additional hardware and (if legitimate) the software, I'd say the total value is more along the lines of £600. Without the software, maybe £300-350. My rule of thumb on private sales is that if the software is not legit, neither is the seller, and therefore even the hardware becomes suspect. If he's willing to lie about one thing, he's willing to lie about everything.

It's a very fine machine in many respects, and still powerful enough for what you want to do with it, but quite old by today's standards. I personally wouldn't buy anything non-Intel at this point except as an inexpensive machine for a "basic" user.

As long as you are aware that this machine is approximately five years old, cannot run anything beyond Leopard (10.5.8), lacks a webcam (may not be important to you) and will as time goes by have less and less new hardware and software available for it (for example, CS5 will be unlikely to run on it), that is (IMO) its worth. The CS4 package alone (again, if legit) is worth more that everything else on the table combined.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks,

How much is it worth with the hardware included and the keboard and speakers etrc detailed in the picture - the same? Sorry, for being so clueless. Thanks...

C

chas_m

Thanks,

How much is it worth with the hardware included and the keboard and speakers etrc detailed in the picture - the same? Sorry, for being so clueless. Thanks...

When I referred to "hardware" in my post, I was including all of that more or less.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.