• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problem with video from D300s

Reaction score
Hey there.

I got the Nikon D300s today. After putting some photos on my Macbook Pro I had to download Camera Raw 5.6 in order to view Nikon's RAW images, that's fine now (except that I still can't view them in Preview). BTW, for kicks I transferred photos into iPhoto to see if it'd work, it didn't.iPhoto says it can't read the files.

Now onto the video issue. The AVI file(s) won't play in iMovie '09, Preview, Quicktime, or in Premier Pro CS4.

*I did download MPEG Streamclip to convert the files, they work after that.*

**I think I should be able to view the videos WITHOUT converting them with some random video converter**

Thanks.

Reaction score
As far as the photos go, I'd check to make sure you have the most current version of iPhoto. I would assume iPhoto is supporting D300S at this point.

C

chas_m

BTW, for kicks I transferred photos into iPhoto to see if it'd work, it didn't.iPhoto says it can't read the files.

There was a RAW compatibility update just today, in fact. Maybe that will fix the issue. Or maybe Nikon is STILL using a proprietary RAW format that doesn't play well with others.

Now onto the video issue. The AVI file(s) won't play in iMovie '09, Preview, Quicktime, or in Premier Pro CS4.

*I did download MPEG Streamclip to convert the files, they work after that.*

**I think I should be able to view the videos WITHOUT converting them with some random video converter**

Yes, and I think iPhones should be given away for free to all bearded smarty-heads. Sadly, neither of us are running the world ... :)

The reason why your AVIs couldn't play is nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with Microsoft. AVI is a container, not a format. Files can be encoded in all manner of sound and visual codecs and still be AVIs.

Some codecs are not licensed to be used on the Mac platform at all, and its only the work of reverse-engineers that makes it happen. Others ARE available for Mac, but Apple (sensibly) decided that iMovie could not and should not support every codec known to man, because MS will probably invent a new one before I finish typing this post, and so iMovie would have be updated constantly.

So they chose a handful of standard video formats that work well, and left it at that.

MPEG Streamclip converts the file into one of these acceptable formats. And does so for free.

I suggest you direct your complaint to Nikon, who could have easily had their video encoded in a standard format that is widely accepted (not just by iMovie) or adopted a standard form of RAW, but *chose not to do that.*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Just out of curiosity, do you have Perian installed? It offers support for avi files, but if you're running snow leopard, you'd need to use quicktime 7 instead of quicktimeX

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.