Overheating CPU and GPU?

Reaction score
Hello, I have a few questions/problems I hope someone can help me with.

I recently bought a Macbook Pro, and I'm liking it so far, though I think it may be overheating a bit.

I installed Windows XP using Bootcamp, and whilst playing Half Life 2 I saw that my processor temperatures were at the 70 degrees mark (core temperatures), and the GPU temperature at 85 degrees (celcius).

I'm wondering if these temperatures are too high. I know that on a desktop computer this would be rather high indeed, but aren't laptop components designed to go hotter? I'm not sure. Also, is it possible that temperature monitoring software would be innacurate using XP on Bootcamp?

What are the maximum temperatures for my CPU/GPU? Are mine higher than they should be? And if so, would it be easily fixable, or should I give up the idea of gaming on it? :p

I have a 2.66 Ghz CPU (P8800) and a 9600M GT.

Thanks!

C

chas_m

Perfectly normal.

I know its hard for people to believe, but Apple did in fact consider heat and cooling issues when designing your computer. They are handling it, yes even in Windows (via Bootcamp).

No worries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Nope, 70 C is not to hot. Mine is at 60 - 70 all the time when web browsing.
And the mac will automatically shut itself down if it gets to hot, so you have nothing to worry about.
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

Opps, chas m beat me to it. :)

Found this post
So, to answer without going into detail, your Mac is not running any hotter than it should, and you don't need to worry unless it hits the 110-115C mark and stays there.... if it does, shut down apps and let it cool.
Norm is anywhere from 35-65C
Warm to Hot is anywhere from 65-95C
Getting pretty hot above that and may shut down.
If it gets to that 110-115C close all apps, and/or shut down.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, thanks for the quick response!

I was thinking it should be okay, but after Googling "p8800 overheating" I see people saying things like "OMG!! 70 degrees is WAY OVERHEATING" :p

Just to be sure, though, where can I find out the maximum safe temperatures for the CPU/GPU?

Whoa, this forum works fast :p just saw your reply McYukon, thanks for the link!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Why not just install smcFanControl ? I have been using it for over 2 years it's a great little program and will keep your Macbook cooler.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.