how to get iweb to quit redirecting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2gb ram | 320gb hd | wireless keyboard & mouse
I used iweb to make a page as a placeholder on a new site I bought until I decided what to do with the domain. I decided to go with a wordpress blog and I deleted all my iweb stuff via FTP but when I type in the domain it is STILL redirecting to the folder my iweb stuff was in. Help! How do I get it to quit doing that so my new blog will display when I type in my site name?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
There is still a file in the root of your web directory hierarchy called index.html that's pointing to the site folder of iWeb. My guess is that your blog has a .php index page, and the .html page is taking precedence (on the server side, it's possible to set an order of precedence for pages to be displayed in terms of a start page, some sites have (in order of extension, ignoring the filename itself since some sites will key off of index or home for a main index page for a site) .html, .htm, .php, etc.).

I'd say ftp into your site, look for the index.html page and rename it to index.old and then navigate to your site in your web browser.

Not guaranteeing that's your problem, but that's what it sounds like to me (which is why I suggested renaming the existing index.html file to something else then loading the page to make sure it works)

OP
Shanni
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2gb ram | 320gb hd | wireless keyboard & mouse
Thank you! I knew it was something like that and I deleted the index.html but it was still redirecting, which baffled me since the only index in the root directory was the new .php one. But I started over, renames the .html one to .old and THEN placed the new .php one in and it worked! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Good deal, glad it worked out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.