MacBook Repaired Permissions don't stay repaired

Reaction score
Hello fellow mac lovers, I could use your help. Here are my specs:

MacBook (bought in 2006)
OS X 10.5.8
1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo
512 MB DDR2 RAM

It has been running slow for quite some time now. For example, I used to have my dock set to automatically hide and when I went to pull it up with the mouse it would stagger and load extremely slowly. Also, when the applications bounced in the dock they would often freeze and then take a long time to unfreeze and properly load.

I tried turning off the dock animations/automatically hide as well as disabling Dashboard, emptying my Firefox cache, making sure the trash was empty, and accidentally deleting my entire iPhoto library. Well, that last bit wasn't on purpose, but you'd think with all the free space now the computer might be just a tad bit faster.

When I run Disk Utility's Repair Permissions I get a LONG list of changes. The problem is that I get this list every time I run it! In other words, the permissions don't seem to be repairing at all. And, of course, the computer continues to run slowly. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Below I have copied and pasted on such session:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Reading permissions database.
Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

...(there was a long list but this post won't allow it all)...
ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Public".
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
ACL found but not expected on "Applications/Utilities".
ACL found but not expected on "Applications".
ACL found but not expected on "Library".

Permissions repair complete

--------------------------------

I have attached a .doc listing all the 'Repaired Permissions'.

I would really appreciate any input people could give me. Thank you!

View attachment Permissions.doc

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download and run "ACLr8". It'll take care of the ACL permissions problem. Program is free and works. LINK

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.