iPod Mini 2nd Gen Battery Problems

Reaction score
I've had my iPod mini for several years and have recently been experiencing problems with the battery life. The battery life will show that it is fully charged, and then literally 5 minutes later, the screen reads that the battery is low and turns off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Owc sells battery replacements for cheap, and it comes with everything you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I would say if your iPod battery lasted this long your very lucky.

OP
eyePawd
Reaction score
Owc sells battery replacements for cheap, and it comes with everything you need.

I was doing some research and even found out that the Genius Bar can replace the battery. Would it be worth it to just do it myself or should I go to the Apple store?

I would say if your iPod battery lasted this long your very lucky.

Thanks! But I've been thinking about just buying a new iPod and just putting this one to rest since I've had it for so long. But if this is a problem that can be fixed for an inexpensive price, then I might as well just hang on to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I was doing some research and even found out that the Genius Bar can replace the battery. Would it be worth it to just do it myself or should I go to the Apple store?

Thanks! But I've been thinking about just buying a new iPod and just putting this one to rest since I've had it for so long. But if this is a problem that can be fixed for an inexpensive price, then I might as well just hang on to it.

I recon It would be cheaper/better to upgrade to something newer. You can buy a Nano for a $100-$150. You can even get a used Nano with Camera for less than a $100 used on ebay or craigslist. You got a good run with that Mini but it's never a bad idea to upgrade your gadgets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I recon It would be cheaper/better to upgrade to something newer. You can buy a Nano for a $100-$150. You can even get a used Nano with Camera for less than a $100 used on ebay or craigslist. You got a good run with that Mini but it's never a bad idea to upgrade your gadgets.

+1 good advice.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
That is exactly what happened to my mini. So what I did was i got a new iPod and took the mini apart completely, lol.

I agree with bargsbeer. You can get a replacement that is much better. One thing you will appreciate is having a color screen. I know it doesn't seem that important, but it's always nice to have one.

Although, I really miss the classic games on the mini, those were my favorite games.

Reaction score
Ya...my mini did the same thing....I plugged it into my ps2 and the **** thing messed broke my ps2...it doesnt even read disks anymore..............uuuugh

OP
eyePawd
Reaction score

Now that you put it that way, I might just do that. I've had a good run with the Mini, but I think it's time to move on. And you're right, a Nano seems like the best option. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Now that you put it that way, I might just do that. I've had a good run with the Mini, but I think it's time to move on. And you're right, a Nano seems like the best option. :)

The new nanos are the coolest little things. My mom got one for Christmas, I played around with it for a while and really liked it. The video quality is great for it's size. You won't be disappointed!

P.S. go for the blue! ;)

OP
eyePawd
Reaction score
^^Awesome. I really do like the size of the Nano, it seems very convenient if you're exercising or walking on a huge school campus, which is practically the only time I ever use my iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^Awesome. I really do like the size of the Nano, it seems very convenient if you're exercising or walking on a huge school campus, which is practically the only time I ever use my iPod.

Also don't rule out the shuffle, It's small and simple and packs excellent battery life.

OP
eyePawd
Reaction score
^^ I like the compact size of the Shuffle, which makes it very convenient to take around. But the only thing that bugs me about it is that there's no screen. Sometimes when I'm taking a break from working out or if I'm on the campus bus, I like to just go through my music rather than listening to a set playlist.

The only way I can see the Shuffle working is if I put music that I absolutely will not skip or get tired of ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.