OS X wont start

Reaction score
Hello Im new here so please bear with me. I went to startup my computer yesterday and all it will do is the Apple screen and the little wheel at the bottom. Im not sure whats wrong with it but I need to get on it to access some important doccuments.

So my Questions are.

1- What could be the problem?

2- How would I go about getting my music off without the computer starting up?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You provided no information about your computer or what version of OS X you're running......

Do you have an original install disk for your Mac? If so, insert the disk, restart your Mac, hold down the C key and boot from the disk. After it boots, select "Utilities" from the top menu, then select "Disk Utilities". Now select the First Aid tab and run a verify and repair on the hard drive.

Post back results. (and info about your machine)

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Its a iMac and its running 10.6 Snow Lepoard.

I did the Disk Utility and it says cant repair. Now when it tries to start up It shows a bar at the bottom and then turns off.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. If your iMac is still under warranty or Apple care, I suggest giving your local Apple store a call and make an appointment with them to look at your computer. I believe your hard drive may have failed.

Have you been making backups with Time Machine? If you don't have a backup, you may lose everything on the hard drive. The Apple technicians will try to recover what they can when changing the hard drive, but sometimes the drive can not be accessed even with special software.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.