Acquisition filesharing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I recently had to re-install mac OS X (I messed up when playing with partitions). When I was putting everything back on after a fresh install, I couldn't get my music to transfer to my mac. I've heard of P2P programs, but I've never thought of using one, because I've always thought it was stealing. My question is, is it technically legal for me to use the P2P program to download the music that I can't get onto my mac? I already own all the music on cd's, I'm just too lazy to re-rip the CD's :)

Thanks,

Mitch Guzman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Why cant you get the music to transfer to your Mac? Maybe we can help you with that instead of using a p2p program.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Depends on the jurisdiction (we can't tell you what your laws are) but these forums follow the laws of the United States and as such, discussion of such activities is prohibited.

Since you already own the CDs, just rip them. If you do consider it stealing, then why consider doing it?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The media player I'm using is a samsung P3. The P3 uses a program called XNJB to transfer music to and from the computer. I was transferring my music, got about halfway through the transfer process, and for some reason every file started failing to transfer. So I figured, why waste the headache when I could just use P2P? And yes...the P3 is the only other location I have my music files backed up to...don't hate me :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Let's take another look at torrents/p2p for a sec.. Not ALL torrent'd/p2p'd software is illegal, there are tonnes of sites that I use that use the bittorrent format for downloading, like linux for example.

I understand that the OP is having issues copying his media back onto his Mac. What kind of problems are you facing? Are you getting any error messages? Anything at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Let's take another look at torrents/p2p for a sec.. Not ALL torrent'd/p2p'd software is illegal, there are tonnes of sites that I use that use the bittorrent format for downloading, like linux for example.

I understand that the OP is having issues copying his media back onto his Mac. What kind of problems are you facing? Are you getting any error messages? Anything at all?

Of course P2P is not illegal :) Tons of legitimate reasons to use it!

Using P2P to download your music again is going to be more hassle then it seems. Finding quality music, avoiding legal troubles, and downloading fake files will make it harder then it really is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Did you by chance have a good back-up of your system since you did a fresh install of OS X ? If so why not just restore your music that way? oops just saw your second post !...nevermind.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
If you already have gone out and paid for the music, then by all means, you can create a "legal back-up" copy, or re-rip it to your computer.

You've already paid for it, so it's not like you're stealing anything.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for moving my post to the right forum, it was my first thread :* I just didn't wanna spend the time re-ripping all the music to my computer. The back up system I have (Samsung P3 media player) was working, but then decided to stop working. haha :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.