Major problem setting default application for mp3's

Reaction score
I work in a law firm and I have downloaded Express Scribe to use to play mp3 files which are dictations received from the attorneys. I need to use Express Scribe because it works with a foot pedal, which iTunes does not. However, every single time I play a mp3, I have to open up the folder it's in and set Express Scribe as the default application. I tell it to use Express Scribe for all mp3's but that makes no difference. It defaults back to iTunes every time. This is very frustrating. Express Scribe is not a "recommended application" for mp3 files according to Mac - is that the reason for the problem? How do I set it and make it stick? Would uninstalling iTunes help, if I can even figure out how to do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Have you tried going into iTunes preffs and telling it not to be the default instead of tell the other one to be ? If not give it a shot...

Clay

OP
F
Reaction score
I just looked at every option in iTunes and don't see any way to un-default it. Where would I find that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Incase you haven't tried this:

Steps:

1) Open finder
2) Find one of the mp3's
3) Right click and go to Get Info
4) Expand Open With
5) Change it to your application
6) Press the Change All button - this step is important
7) A confirmation window will pop up making sure this is what you want to do
8) Confirm it.

After that, all mp3s should open in your other program. If you don't do the change all, any mp3's aside from the one you specifically set will still open in iTunes...

I tested this procedure again, then opened iTunes and exited then double clicked one of my mp3's and it appropriately launched in the app I Selected (in my case, quicktime X)

Hope that helps..

The only other thing I could think of off hand that could cause a problem is if your Apple logs into an OSX server that somehow disables your ability to re-associate files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I just looked at every option in iTunes and don't see any way to un-default it. Where would I find that?

Thats a great question...it used to be iTunes/pref/advanced.

however I just looked and its not there anymore ! Sorry for the wrong info

Clay

OP
F
Reaction score
I did the change all, that's what doesn't work.

It is on a network. Is that what's screwing it up?

It's OSX, in case I didn't say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3" (2009), 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 500GB Momentus XT Hybrid
Check out this application:

RCDefaultApps

Downloadlink: Rubicode

This will install as a Preference pane in system preferences. In there you'll be able to configure: Default Apps, choose which app opens which extension, etc... It is really customizable.

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If in step 5 in Nethfel's directions, you open one that is already set to use Express Scribe - you need to change it to something else, then back to Express Scribe before the 'Change All' button will work.

Shouldn't be an issue with the files being on an external, but give a try making the change on an mp3 that is on your internal drive to check.

Personally, if you have any plans of storing music mp3s on your machine, I'd really hesitate to make this change. I'd suggest you open Express Scribe when you're beginning work, then open the files you want to use with it from the Express Scribe menu instead of opening them from Finder.

Reaction score
I took a look at Express Scribe. For it to work the way that you would like, Express Scribe would need a slight modification to its application bundle. Not an overly difficult task. Adding the MP3 document type to its info.plist would allow it to play better with MP3's. I can give you information to do it or send you the modified app. If you want, PM me for more detail.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Would a folder action work if he sets an action to launch Express Scribe when the appropriate files are dropped into that folder?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.