Issue with Skype and iSight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz,13'' macbook white, 20" iMac, 16GB iPhone 3G white.
OSX - 10.6.2
Skype - 2.8.0.722

I've just gotten back onto Skype and I've run into the problem that my iSight is not working with it. It runs fine in other programs and I have checked the preferences in Skype and video is Enabled. There are two options for the camera choice, Built-in iSight and Built-in iSight(Leopard)...

Built-in iSight ->displays black with the words "Camera in use by other application"

Built-in iSight (Leopard) -> the green light beside the camera turns on but the image is just green.

There are some suggestions, the first is to run a program that runs an applescript that turns on the camera (not really what I'd like), the other is to delete a file in Quicktime that appears to run the camera (which I can't find).

I'm looking for a permanent fix to this, and it appears that the Skype Admins are not acknowledging this issue.

Thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
One post is enough, do not cross-post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I am running both Skype and iChat and both work correctly in 10.6.2 - so i would be looking elsewhere for the issue. As a first step in troubleshooting download and install this.

are two options for the camera choice, Built-in iSight and Built-in iSight(Leopard)
this is a little confusing! What do u mean by that?

OP
iscameron
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a ScreenShot of the problem.

screenshot20100210at803.jpg
screenshot20100210at115.jpg

I will try installing the update but im pretty sure i'm all up to date on those.

OP
iscameron
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I've found the issue, for some reason a component to Quicktime was "using" the camera even without quicktime running.

Deleting the CamCamX5.component file from /Library/Quicktime folder

The camera recording still works fine in Quicktime so I am not sure what it has done in quicktime but so far I see no repercussions.

Thanks for the help though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.