Broadband adsl modem problem

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I have searched the site and not come up with anything...

I have today bought a secondhand 17" iMac intel core duo, to replace my 600mhz g3 powerPC iMac.

I thought I would be able to plug my external adsl modem into the new computer, but it doesn't seem to have a modem cable port, or at least mine doesn't seem to want to click into what looks like the modem port.

I am not very computer literate so I can't understand how I can now connect to my adsl broadband connection! I don't want to go wireless - is there a solution?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
None of the new iMacs have adsl modem ports, you were trying to put it in the ethernet port. Lets hope you haven't damaged it.
Apple used to sell a USB modem for this, but I don't think it available any longer.
Wi-fi is the way, or at least a router and ethernet cable anyway.
Your ISP should supply one for free now, most do, just call and ask!

OP
I
Reaction score
I was gentle, it should be fine!

I guess a call to Virgin is on the cards then - thanks for taking the time to reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
ADSL modem connection to a Mac is by ethernet cable only, there is no dialup modem (RJ-11) socket on the newer iMac as there was on your old iMac.

An RJ-11 cable is used to connect the ADSL modem to the telephone socket/line. The plug on the end is quite small, almost square in profile.

An ethernet (RJ-45) cable and connector goes from the ethernet socket on your iMac to the modem (also called 'router'). The plug looks wider and slightly flatter, and it's more robust, as is the cable.

Don't worry, you wouldn't be the first and only person ever to try connecting RJ-11 to RJ-45 by mistake. The biggest risk is breaking off the little locking lug. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I thought I would be able to plug my external adsl modem into the new computer, but it doesn't seem to have a modem cable port, or at least mine doesn't seem to want to click into what looks like the modem port.

I guess a call to Virgin is on the cards then - thanks for taking the time to reply.

If u have have a ADSL modem then all you need is the ethernet cable to connect the iMac.
You don't need a dial up modem, there is no point with ADSL - Look for the <•••> type symbol and connect the ethernet cable from that to your ADSL modem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

That's who I'm with. They sent a new modem and a D-Link router for free when I asked, and someone else here got a Netgear router after I suggested he called, so you should be well away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.