Blu Ray burner

Reaction score
Ok first of all I am new to the Mac world. With that being said, I need help finding a external blu ray burner that works for a Mac(notebook). I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of burner/software I need to copy blu rays. I really have no idea where to start or where to look. Thanks for the help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sadly you have shot yourself in the foot by saying you want to copy blu-ray. We can't discuss such things here.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't mean blu rays as in movies. I have a bunch of wedding/birthday blu rays that my brother made and I don't know how to copy them to give out to family and friends.

Thanks

Reaction score
And taking BluRay Movies you have purchased and burning them to a Harddrive or to make a backup is 100% legal. No problem whatsoever with doing that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok. Well you will need software like Toast Titanium, and a blu-ray burner. I don't believe software like disk utility supports blu ray yet, as Apple don't have burners themselves, but I know Toast does. Trouble is it costs, though it's worth it.
As for burners, Buffalo make one that I know works with Mac/Toast, but there must be others.
One thing to note, if you have Toast and the Blu Ray plug in, you can burn 25 minutes of Blu Ray footage onto DVD discs. Maybe that's enough for what you need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And taking BluRay Movies you have purchased and burning them to a Harddrive or to make a backup is 100% legal. No problem whatsoever with doing that.

I think not, the same applies to dvd's where you need to breaking the coding.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you guys both for the help. Sorry for the confusion on what I needed copys of. Most of the material I need to copy is 15-20mins long. So I will look into buying the Toast software. So that answers that question.

Second question, making backup's for blu-rays for movies that I purchased I would need the Toast software and a blu-ray bunner?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Ok. Well you will need software like Toast Titanium, and a blu-ray burner. I don't believe software like disk utility supports blu ray yet, as Apple don't have burners themselves, but I know Toast does. Trouble is it costs, though it's worth it.
As for burners, Buffalo make one that I know works with Mac/Toast, but there must be others.
One thing to note, if you have Toast and the Blu Ray plug in, you can burn 25 minutes of Blu Ray footage onto DVD discs. Maybe that's enough for what you need?

You got my interest since most social events that a friend of mine shoots in HD are only around 15 to 20 minutes and Toast can put this on a single layer
DVD? Guess my pocket book just got lighter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you guys both for the help. Sorry for the confusion on what I needed copys of. Most of the material I need to copy is 15-20mins long. So I will look into buying the Toast software. So that answers that question.

Second question, making backup's for blu-rays for movies that I purchased I would need the Toast software and a blu-ray bunner?

Yes, correct.

You got my interest since most social events that a friend of mine shoots in HD are only around 15 to 20 minutes and Toast can put this on a single layer
DVD? Guess my pocket book just got lighter.

Indeed, that's all you need. And Toast is well worth the money, you may even want to look at the Pro version, as it has a lot more useful features.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.