Can a base level 13.3" MBP handle HD Video Editing ?

Reaction score
Can a base level 13.3" MBP handle HD Video Editing? Or is a better spec'd machine needed?

Note: Not hard-core James Cameron video editing... ;) ...just your basic family videos from a consumer HD camcorder.

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In short, yes it can. Now, if you want to view the video at full 1080P resolution (1920x1080), you'll need a display capable of that resolution - but it won't stop you from editing it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Great, thanks. Yeah, I was just concerned with whether or not it has enough "oomph" for HD video editing. For the display I'd use the TV. Although that brings up another question....

Currently I just stick the SD card into the PS3 to play the AVCHD files (HD video) on the TV. If I edit the AVCHD files on a Mac, how would they get played on the TV?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac has an SD card slot as well. So, you'd just load them onto the same SD card and load 'em into your PS3.

OP
S
Reaction score
The Mac has an SD card slot as well. So, you'd just load them onto the same SD card and load 'em into your PS3.
Right, but would the files/filenames be the same as if the same thing were done on a Windows PC?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, but would the files/filenames be the same as if the same thing were done on a Windows PC?

Assuming the cards are formatted FAT32, yes, it will be the same.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hmm, I just did a bit of research and found out that a Mac will UNcompress AVCHD files which makes them a much larger size. Not sure if I like that... but I'll do a bit more reading on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.