Cracks in NEW Unibody white Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Macbook, iMac coreduo, g4 iBook, 3 PCs, iphone 3g & iPhone 3gs
I got my new Unibody white macbook shortly after they were released, 2nd week of Nov. 2009. I have loved the unit and treated it very delicately, but last week i noticed 2 small hairline cracks in the plastic, right where the hinge is. I searched the net and found no one else who had this problem. I took it to the Apple store and they said "usually" they wouldn't cover this, that it would be called cosmetic damage, but after the genius looked it over, he realized that other than the cracks my unit was in pristine condition; so they said they would cover it under warranty and replace the screen and top casing.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experience a similar problem?

I know the older macbooks had a cracking problem but this is a newer unit, the current generation. And since they are so new, i figured maybe i am the first to encounter this. Every epidemic starts with one person...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have loved the unit and treated it very delicately, but last week i noticed 2 small hairline cracks in the plastic, right where the hinge is.

Every epidemic starts with one person...

Well let's hope it isn't the start of an epidemic!:)

Without a photo I don't know where exactly the cracks are, or how large they are...but the hinge area is always a "weak spot" on laptop computers.

I know that you're going to say that you didn't do it...but depending where the cracks are...the cracks could possibly be due to opening the display lid too far (beyond the point where the housing of the lid touches the bottom housing).

The good news is your laptop is still under warranty...and Apple has agreed to repair it.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It is a known problem on the older white macbooks. I'm surprised you did not find anything during your search because there is tons of topics about it online. :)

I believe Apple even agreed to replacing the hairline cracks even after the machines were out of warranty. Glad you got it fixed though. It's a shame to have the cracks in the machine even if they are small.

Welcome to the forums and please stick around! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D (late 2007), MacBook Pro 13" (June 2009), MacBook white (late 2007), iPhone 3G, iPod Cl
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the same problem. I have just described on my Polish blog 3 examples of such cracks on the new MacBook unibody. All of them were reported by Polish users (on a Polish Apple fan forum) and all of them are pretty the same, hairline cracks on the body that run straight from the corner of the hinge.

The text is in Polish, but you can see the photos.

P?kni?cia w nowych MacBookach unibody – za wcze?nie na alarm | MacKozer

Will keep an eye on this.

greetings from Poland

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It is a known problem on the older white macbooks.
I believe Apple even agreed to replacing the hairline cracks even after the machines were out of warranty :)

I wonder if you've heard that they will even do this with a late 07 MB (way out of warranty)....
I only noticed it when it come up in a thread fairly recently!

I'm tempted to call Apple, but don't wanna get my hopes up :p

Reaction score
After having my Macbook for 2 almost 3 months, I have gotten the hairline crack on the hinge. I am going to be taking it in to the apple store today hopefully for a repair.
I hope this isn't going to be a frequent issue because, the screen bezel on the left side is no longer in contact with the palm rest when closed.

I hope they admit to this problem. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Go in with an optimistic non confrontational attitude and you should walk out with a fast repair or a new machine.... so back up your HD before you take it in :)

Reaction score
Apple has order a replacement part for the cracked hinge. They also are going to replace the hard drive which clicks when you move the unit.
It went well, just have to wait until thursday until my computer is repaired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late-2009 unibody white macbook
I have the same problem too.. after I read this post, I discovered my unibody white macbook has 2 small hair cracks too.. Should I take it to the Apple store and see if they could cover it under warranty? Coz I previously used an aftermarket hard cover case to protect my macbook, and I think that's why it causing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple has order a replacement part for the cracked hinge. They also are going to replace the hard drive which clicks when you move the unit.
It went well, just have to wait until thursday until my computer is repaired.

Good to hear :)

Reaction score
I have the same problem too.. after I read this post, I discovered my unibody white macbook has 2 small hair cracks too.. Should I take it to the Apple store and see if they could cover it under warranty? Coz I previously used an aftermarket hard cover case to protect my macbook, and I think that's why it causing it.

I would take it back if I were you. This is probably a design fault. Hopefully this piece of the computer will be redesigned. It's not only you who has had this problem, it might be a persistent problem. I only hope I don't have to go to the apple store every couple of months for a new top case. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late-2009 unibody white macbook
Thank You. I will take the macbook to the Apple store during Spring break.. Hopefully it won't take too long for them to fix it.

Reaction score
I too have had problems with my new unibody white macbook and the cracks on the hinges. I took it to the Apple store last week and was told that it would not be covered and would cost nearly $450 to repair! I was not only angry and annoyed. I have not damaged my macbook, never dropped it and have always been very careful.

It looks to me that just the simple act of opening the lid is causing the cracks to form.

Reaction score
This is bad news. We just bought two of the new unibody whites, thinking that the cracking issue was surely solved. Is it cracking due to the pull of the magnets used to close the lid?

I find it a tad bit anoying that the plastic on a $400 Windows laptop is more durable then on a $1000 apple laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is bad news. We just bought two of the new unibody whites, thinking that the cracking issue was surely solved. Is it cracking due to the pull of the magnets used to close the lid?

I find it a tad bit anoying that the plastic on a $400 Windows laptop is more durable then on a $1000 apple laptop.

Windows laptops aren't more durable, it was a materials defect, which has apparently been rectified, but if it happens to your Mac(s), Apple will look after you.
Don't worry about it and enjoy your new Macs :)

Reaction score
I'm now on my second crack. But this time not on the hinge. A small hairline crack that seems to be getting bigger, visible to the left of the sleep light.
I'm going to wait for it to get bigger before I take it in.
Hopefully they will replace this part too.
Is there too much strain on the plastic in the new design of the MacBooks, with all the curves etc...? Just like the white iPhone 3g having cracks in the plastic where the curves were.
Is this MacBook going to be like the old one? Cracks no matter what?
Since I got it back after the first repair, I bought an extra case to put this in too, a stretchy case that hugs the computer, foam padding in the soft brief case. This is starting to become a mac on a life support.
I can't even move it without the hard drive making a huge clicking noise.
:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm now on my second crack. But this time not on the hinge. A small hairline crack that seems to be getting bigger, visible to the left of the sleep light.
I'm going to wait for it to get bigger before I take it in.
Why are you saying you will wait for it to get bigger before you take it in.... that's ridiculous! You already know that Apple will look after you, so get it taken care of!

Is there too much strain on the plastic in the new design of the MacBooks, with all the curves etc...? Just like the white iPhone 3g having cracks in the plastic where the curves were.
Is this MacBook going to be like the old one? Cracks no matter what?
Some of the suppliers had defective materials.... these things happen! Just stay on top of it with Apple until everything is fine!

This is starting to become a mac on a life support.
I can't even move it without the hard drive making a huge clicking noise.
This is another thing to get onto Apple about and have it taken care of!

If this keeps happening, I have no doubt that eventually you will get a new replacement Mac.

If you let it go, and get all negative, well........ just stay positive, and stay on top of things, and I'm sure everything will turn out just fine :)

Reaction score
I'll make an appointment for next week, but do you really think they would replace the keyboard part?
Its quite a big part.
I sure do hope they replace it.
Thanks for making me feel reassured with my mac.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolutely.... they'll either replace the part the whole unit! It's under warranty!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bringing up an old thread but I have started my own little war with Apple regarding hairline cracks in my lower casing of my late 07 Macbook.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1493/photo051sn.jpg
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8009/photo052v.jpg
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1728/photo053t.jpg
So far after much discussion with Apple customer care, and them refusing to accept liability due to their fine print, they have finally agreed to replace the lower casing, but not take care of the cost of labour to replace it.
I am now on my second part of the battle, in which I am fighting to have them pay for the labour.
Initially when speaking with Apple, they went as far as to state that even if I were under warranty, that they would not cover it as it was a defect that the engineers were not aware of, and therefore, was not covered. They only recognise that there is defective upper casing, and claim that it is only due to it being called "hardware" as the keyboard and trackpad are part of it. LOL
I explained that even if they weren't aware of defective lower casing material through the many cases on the internet, and the many cases that have come in to Apple, that they are now aware of it, as I have just brought it to their attention.
It was only after I took it into the techs, and had them look at it, and got back to Apple with details of the tech who looked at it and Apple spoke to him, as well as the photos that I had sent them, they they even bent half way to cover the cost of the part.
I have provided them with the following links to show them that even though they deny knowledge of any material defects in the lower casing, that it is common knowledge, and that they are indeed aware of it.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...g/apple/hairline-macbook-cracks-appearing/471
Apple Wants Nothing to Do with Your Cracking White MacBook - Widely reported as faulty, the old notebook continues to give headaches to users - Softpedia
MacBook Cracks | Plastic MacBook Cases Cracked
AppleInsider | Apple addressing cracks on white MacBook casings
Apple Privately Admits White MacBook's Notorious Crack Problem - Apple - Gizmodo

I am, I must say, highly disappointed that it has had to be a battle, as I am one of the first to brag about Apple's level of customer service.
I will hopefully be able to give some good news on Monday or Tuesday at the home stretch of the battle :)

If anyone has anything to add which may add some weight to battle to have the labour taken care of without me having to spend more than the AU$150 in time and effort that the labour is going to cost me, it would be much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.