Dying MacBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.53GHz MacBook Pro 4Gb & MacBook 1.1 250Gb HDD Leopard 2Gb Ram
I have 3 year old macBook 1.1 Core Duo, it's unto max 2GB Ram and running Snow 10.2.6, I have also just purchased the new 13" MacBook Pro.

My old MacBook is I fear close to Death. For some time now it has been emitting a terrible whirling noise (it still is) but I don't think its the fan, I have already replaced the original HDD which failed without warning 14 months ago and the DVD doesn't write anymore, I've also had to replace the trackpad/keyboard.

Its been crashing without warning and before doing so everything slows down including any audio at the time. I think either the CPU or Logic Board is about t to fail. I did a complete new Snow install so as to eliminate any programme glitches but it's still misbehaving.

I can't find anything that tests the CPU or logic board so guess I will have to go to MAc but I am curious to know if other older MacBook users have experienced similar problems.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Start here, and let us know how you make out...

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Also, is the whine electronic or mechanical sounding? The only moving parts you really have are the fan(s) and the HDD - unless of course, you have a disc in the SuperDrive.

OP
TrickyNic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. Yes the noise is mechanical and I was wondering what else other than the fan or HDD could do this, nothing then!

Did the Hardware Test and came up with this Apple Error:

4MOT/1/40000002:CENTER_LOWER-FRONT

I haven't serched this yet but sounds like it could be to do with the keypad/trackpad I replaced.

OP
TrickyNic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.