Style vs Reliability

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Just a comment before I go plunk down $1300 for a new 12" PBook

Have seen many threads about latches - dead pixels - flakey panel alignment - flakey hinges on iBooks and PBooks

I'm new to apple after being a system designer at Intel for many years - and love OS X and my mini -- after all it really does JUST WORK !!!! But I really think Apple could do a better blend of style and design on their mobile products.

My IBM ThinkPad at Intel was a freakin bullet-proof tank as far as mechanical design went and rigidity of the LCD screen --- I would really like Apple to strike a better balance between pure style and some basic elements of mechanical design

Time to roll the bones at the apple store and see how a PowerBoook works out for me

OP
S

Steel02001

I think the powerbook is both stylish and reliable.

While it isnt a tank, it can definately take a beating, as mine does and it has come out unscathed everytime.

ALso the dead pixel thing. I have seen a lot of these post as well but not all will have the problem so dont worry about it. Its like at a hospital, we see a lot of problems so we just assume there is a ton there, but think of all the powerbook out there and how few actually have the problem.

Good luck at the apple store and I am sure you will come home satisfied.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah my powerbook is awesome.. I actually dropped it from waist high and I didn't have any problems, even when it landed on an edge.. I was amazed :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i remember reading some where that power books have gyro sencers, so if you drop it, it puts the hardrive into a lock down mode so no damage is done. They are prety stylish too.

OP
S

Steel02001

PowerBookG4 said:
i remember reading some where that power books have gyro sencers, so if you drop it, it puts the hardrive into a lock down mode so no damage is done. They are prety stylish too.

Tis true tis true.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.