Find replace text in filenames

Reaction score
I have several thousand files which need a - in the filenames changed to a .

Despite searching the help menus and forums the only solution I can find is to buy and download an application.

Surely it cannot be this difficult, I could have done this in about 2 minutes on a PC instead of which I have spent the past 2 days looking for a solution. Is there no way that I can do a find/replace on a mac?

OP
Reaction score
Actually I have now tried a free application to do this and it wont rename the files because they are in sub folders.

C

chas_m

Periods in the filename (at the beginning, anyway) make the file invisible. It's a UNIX thing.

Periods elsewhere in the filename usually mark the end of the name and the beginning of the extension.

So this does not sound like a wise plan to me.

But to answer your question, yes it is possible to do this quite easily ... using the terminal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I could have done this in about 2 minutes on a PC instead of which I have spent the past 2 days looking for a solution. Is there no way that I can do a find/replace on a mac?
You could switch back to Windows,

Periods in the filename (at the beginning, anyway) make the file invisible. It's a UNIX thing.

yes it is possible to do this quite easily ... using the terminal.
or learn something new.

This is not a common task for 99% of computer users.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.