Cannot authorize as admin but can su

Reaction score
Having a bizarre problem on my Mac and was hoping you guys could help.

My main user that I use every day is no longer allowed superuser privileges in the GUI. For instance, if you go to System Preferences/Accounts and 'Click the lock to make changes' it will always reject the password I enter with the message 'Try entering your information again.' and an 'OK' button.

I figured that the user had dropped out of the admin group but that is not the case. When I use 'groups' you can see that it is clearly there. I also have no problems using su & sudo from the command line. When you check the user with dscl it is still in the admin group.

I added another admin user from the command line using dscl and used that to remove and then re-add admin privileges from my main user but that didn't work.

I've also tried running Disk Utility and Repair Permissions but that hasn't worked either.

Am running a MacBook (early '09) with the latest version of Snow Leopard (10.6.2)

Any ideas?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try this - open Keychain - on the menu bar go to Keychain Access - Keychain First Aid and run a repair

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Next couple of things I'd try would be:

wouldn't do either of these without a bootable backup

move the keychainaccess preference file to the desktop - located in your home folder / Library / Preferences / com.apple.keychainaccess.plist - trash it if it works, move it back if not

Maybe wait for more input, then:
Create a new Keychain - definitely not without a backup - have never had to do this and am not aware of all the ramifications of this act

OP
G
Reaction score
Next couple of things I'd try would be:

wouldn't do either of these without a bootable backup

move the keychainaccess preference file to the desktop - located in your home folder / Library / Preferences / com.apple.keychainaccess.plist - trash it if it works, move it back if not

Maybe wait for more input, then:
Create a new Keychain - definitely not without a backup - have never had to do this and am not aware of all the ramifications of this act

That sounds a bit drastic at the moment. The stupid thing is I've created a new admin user from the command line that I can use to validate in the GUI at any point. So it is just more of an annoyance that my main users can't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.