trouble installing mactheripper....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 Dual 1.25/768mb/240g
I just downloaded mactheripper (mactheripper263.dmg.bz2). I used stuffit expander to open that file and now I have (mactheripper263.dmg.1). When I open this file there is nothing but jargon and japanese. I can't find any installing cues or anything. Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I need in order to install? TIA

K

Kokopelli

Try decompressing it again. mactheripper263.dmg.bz2 should expand to mactheripper263.dmg. You would then mount the image so that you could install the app by dragging the app to the Applications folder (or wherever). I am not sure where that ".1" came from. It may be fine and just need the ".1" removed, but I would consider it suspect. If decompressing it a second time does not work you might try downloading it again.

OP
b16crx69
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kokopelli said:
Try decompressing it again. mactheripper263.dmg.bz2 should expand to mactheripper263.dmg. You would then mount the image so that you could install the app by dragging the app to the Applications folder (or wherever). I am not sure where that ".1" came from. It may be fine and just need the ".1" removed, but I would consider it suspect. If decompressing it a second time does not work you might try downloading it again.

Ive downloaded it from 2 sources and still the same. I tried decompressing the second file, but it says it's not compressed. I can open the "dmg.1" file...a window with computer nonsense opens up. When I decompress the first "mactheripper263.dmg.bz2" the seconde file, "mactheripper266.dmg.1" becomes visible on the desktop. It then opens up in text edit and displays the jargon. The Icon is document style. There should be a disc icon right? I don't know what to do.

View attachment Picture 1.pdf

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Maybe download it using a different browser.

K

Kokopelli

EDIT: I just noticed you are using MTR 263? Is there a reason you are using an older version with known problems? This has nothing to do with your other problems but the advice below will not help with 2.63. I made an incorrect assumption you were downloading the current version.

OK, different approach. Open a terminal, navigate to where you have the bz2 file and type
md5 mactheripper266.dmg.bz2

The result should be
MD5 (mactheripper266.dmg.bz2) = e13072cae0175ffce1fd3fb65b0fa606

if it is then type
md5 mactheripper266.dmg.1

with a result of
MD5 (mactheripper266.dmg.1) = f578b2425709dc170fb7a9b28858d4c4

if it is type
mv mactheripper266.dmg.1 mactheripper266.dmg

It one of the md5 sums does not match then let us know which one. If the firs then the download is not right. If the second then something went wrong on the decompression and we can try decompressing using command line.

EDIT: And do not use IE for the download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
wouldnt the .1 signify hes downloaded it twice?

where are you getting it from? Have you tried version tracker, Thats where I (And a LOT of other people judging by the download count :) ) have gotten it?

Ah well, listen to kokopeli anyway, not me :D

OP
b16crx69
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay...this is strange. I went to my friends house and tried to download it there and everything went okay. The version that downloaded for her from VersionTracker was "mactheripper266.dmg.bz2". Any reason why it would download 266 on her computer and 263 on mine? Theyre both from versiontracker. I even tried to find a 263 download on versiontracker and it didn't come up; only the 266 did...puzzling. I will try and and find 266 when I get home. Thanks again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is from the MacTheRipper site. If you are using IE, don't.

Users have reported problems downloading MacTheRipper using Internet Explorer. If you are using IE, and cannot properly download MTR, please try using Safari, Camino, Omniweb, Firefox, or just about any other browser under the sun... You might want to consider dropping IE altogether, since it's a pile of ****.
-MTR Team

OP
b16crx69
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got it to finally work, however, something still doesn't seem quite right. I tried to download it several times from version tracker and mtr website. On 2 occasions it downloaded as a zip and all the others were bz2. I don't get it...how could it download as 2 separate file types from thie same website? Anyways, one of the zip files finally worked. Anybody know why or how it could do this? I'm just hoping that it's not something wrong with my OS. Thanks for all the help guys.

N

normal1

b16crx69 said:
I just got it to finally work, however, something still doesn't seem quite right. I tried to download it several times from version tracker and mtr website. On 2 occasions it downloaded as a zip and all the others were bz2. I don't get it...how could it download as 2 separate file types from thie same website? Anyways, one of the zip files finally worked. Anybody know why or how it could do this? I'm just hoping that it's not something wrong with my OS. Thanks for all the help guys.

This all depends on the website. They may have some sort of script to do that. The file types at the time you download it are not as important as when you decompress it. Hope all works well.

B

badmojo

Kokopelli said:

Coming from a Windows world, you may want to do as Kokopelli is suggesting. Can you rename the file, omitting the .1 at the end? I used to have to do this with files all the time on Windows. Just tacking on or removing an extension allowed the OS to correctly identify the file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.