Partitions?

Reaction score
Here is what I'd like to do. On a Windows laptop, I'd create 2 partitions, install the OS on one and use the other as storage. When reinstalling windows or reinstating backups, it would only affect the OS partition and I don't have to back up all my personal files. Is that possible on a Mac?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yes you can. Format using disk utility during boot up. Make your partitions, and install the OS.

However this isn't exactly the best way to store or make a backup of your files. If the HDD dies chances are both of the partitions are done for.

A external HDD doesn't cost that much money. Do yourself a favor and invest in one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There's really no reason to do this on a Mac. Unlike older versions of Windows, you don't need to do a reinstall of OS X on a regular basis, so you can keep going with the same installation for years without any trouble, barring any hardware failure of course.

I'm with Crimson, get yourself an external hard drive and either make backups by cloning, via SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, or Time Machine. Another option would be to simply store your data on your external drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do have several external HDs, but they are mostly for extra storage. Since I've only had a HD die on me once (and I saw it coming miles away since I dropped the HD and it was making funny noises, but still was working fine), I haven't really felt the pain of losing data. So, this partition thing is more for convenience as I do plan to reinstall OS X once in a while. I guess I can't kick off this Windows habit. It's not that the OS is malfunctioning. It's just that I like the squeaky clean feeling, with no unwanted apps or files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
So, this partition thing is more for convenience as I do plan to reinstall OS X once in a while. I guess I can't kick off this Windows habit. It's not that the OS is malfunctioning. It's just that I like the squeaky clean feeling, with no unwanted apps or files.

Partitioning your hard disk won't make it any more convenient to re-install OS X; if anything, it will complicate it slightly

And the only way to get a squeaky-clean Mac is with a soft cloth, a bottle of iKlear, a can of compressed gas, and a good vacuum cleaner. Habitually erasing the system won't do anything but waste your time and put additional wear and tear on your hard disk.

OP
T
Reaction score
The plan with partitioning is that I could mount the second partition in the user folder with my account name. This way, everything saved in my home folder is safe from reinstalls. At least, that was the plan. I haven't checked how to change mount points yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The plan with partitioning is that I could mount the second partition in the user folder with my account name. This way, everything saved in my home folder is safe from reinstalls. At least, that was the plan. I haven't checked how to change mount points yet.

That's my point. Everything saved in your home folder is safe from reinstalls anyway, unless you do an erase-and-install and format the volume. Which you'd only do if the volume format was corrupted.

(Well, that's what most people would do. From the sound of things, you format your Mac and reinstall right after your morning coffee. ;) )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.