Installation CD Help

Reaction score
So if anyone knows me i made my first post asking about using a burnt copy of xp with dual boot.

So i borrowed a friends disc to install xp and i used my cd key. Problem is i deleted the partition i made with bootcamp since i didnt have a windows xp disc. So i went to re-do the partition and now i get that "Cannot move over the proper files, please re partition Hard Drive as a single volume" message or something like that.

Basically i need to back up my hard drive and reinstall osx but alas... the irony.

I have all the other dvds in the bundle except my install disc... i am so frustrated! I scheduled for an apple person to call me tomorrow afternoon. I dont have apple care though so i am not sure how am i supposed to get a replacement.

How can i get a replacement disc? Does it cost much? Can i use a friends?

I have snow leopard 10.6.2 so i am not sure what disc i need to get it back to that.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The snow leopard update disk 10.6.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Worst case scenario, you pick up a retail copy of Snow Leopard for $29.

OP
S
Reaction score
Worst case scenario, you pick up a retail copy of Snow Leopard for $29.

Wait, Snow Leopard is only 30 bucks? Is that the full install or just the update?

We will see how it goes later. I have all my serial numbers written down so if i use a friends install disc will i be able to enter my serial number?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
All this is more than a little on the nose. SL does not come with serial or registration numbers and using a 'friend's' XP disc or an illegal burnt copy will get you nowhere as Microsoft will decline verification.

OP
S
Reaction score
All this is more than a little on the nose. SL does not come with serial or registration numbers and using a 'friend's' XP disc or an illegal burnt copy will get you nowhere as Microsoft will decline verification.

I have no idea what i am doing here... I have never reinstalled OS X before so i am guessing its like XP :Smirk:

I spoke with apple care and they said a replacement is 17 bucks or so. I am just going to order a replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.