Ethernet Icon In Menu Bar

Reaction score
My Ethernet icon <---> is currently in my menu bar, next to airport status, battery, date and time, and spotlight. However I would like to remove it, but I do not know how. I have gone to the network panel of system preferences and gone to ethernet pane but there is not box to uncheck "show ethernet status in menu bar". Please Help.

Reaction score
i love the simplicity

hold down <Command> on your keyboard, click the icon you want to remove [in this case the ethernet icon] and drag it away from the menu bar. easy as that. you can also use this method to move the icons around and rearrange your menu bar. hope this helps you out!

Reaction score
Thank you!

hold down <Command> on your keyboard, click the icon you want to remove [in this case the ethernet icon] and drag it away from the menu bar. easy as that. you can also use this method to move the icons around and rearrange your menu bar. hope this helps you out!

The OP might not have expressed thanks, but i registered here for that very purpose. Thank you very much!

In earlier versions of Mac OSX, there was a checkbox somewhere that determined whether or not that icon would appear in the menu bar ... but it's no longer there. Your <Command> key trick is awesome!

Always learnin'...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.