1GB or 2GB ram in imac G5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Well i have enough for 2GB, but i have heard it is not worth it (overkill...)
I run photoshop and illustrator at the same time, and use Final Cut HD, and Adobe Premiere regularly.
Would it be worth it getting 2GB, as apposed to 1GB ontop of the stock 256?
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
I have 2GB in my 17in iMac G5 and this thing flys. But for what i use this computer for that much memory is really overkill.

But my thought is if you have the money for the 2GB of memory then get the 2GB. :) :mac:

Just my opinion

C

code777

I have 1GB in mine (in pairs) and it runs smooth and fast. The most memory intensive app I use are iMovie, iDVD, Limewire. Out of habit I never have a lot of apps open at once. So 1GB is plenty. My friend put in 1.5GB but he does about the same stuff I do so we can't see a difference.

I'd say save the money and put that towards some other cool toys for the iMac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Thanks for your replies. What i think i'll do is get a gig chip for now, see what it performs like with my apps, and upgrade if needs be.
Thanks
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
alexmaccoll said:
Thanks for your replies. What i think i'll do is get a gig chip for now, see what it performs like with my apps, and upgrade if needs be.
Thanks
Alex

I agree. Get a Gig for starters, then upgrade if need be. If you ran the types of apps that would actually require two full gigs of RAM, you'd know it. I'm a big fan of two smaller matched sticks versus one big one, but I'm sure one stick of a Gig would peform just as well.

-Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.