upgrading HDD on imac G3

Reaction score
Hello all,
Got my first ever mac , an imac G3 700MHZ,
previous owner upgraded ram to 512,
i was thinking of upgrading HDD from 60 GB to say perhaps 500GB,
do i then also need to upgrade processor and also upgrade ram to 1GB,
or would i be as well to add an external HD through firewire or USB ???
many thanks in advance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's a nice iMac you got there...the 700mhz was the fastest version in the G3 iMac series!:)

Some info for you:

- you're limited to a maximum of 128 megabyte hard drive...so no 500 gig....sorry.:(
- you cannot upgrade the processor on an iMac.:)
- you can attach an external hard drive.:)
- max ram is 1 gig as you mentioned.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
I would leave the boot drive alone. If you change it you lose the firmware and would have to put it back on the clean drive. This means original OS boot disc and starting with OS 9.2.2 and updating the boot rom to 4.1.9 in order to install OS 10. Just use a large external for your storage and save yourself a lot of pain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
And a firewire, or combo fw/usb external drive at that - to answer your question :). I agree with MacSK, if the present internal drive is functioning normally, leave it be.

That iMac was the last of the G3 line, the 700 MHz is relatively rare (at least here in NZ). By all means take the RAM further to 1 Gb (2 x 512), the iMac will run really well with that, especially if you're operating OS X. Be careful to get the right sort of RAM, not the cheap high density PC modules.

Tiger is the last OS for the G3 iMac, but personally I'd stay with Panther, just my preference, having tried both with my G3 600.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks guys - recommed external HDD

Hello all, Thanks for the replies,

Have decided to go ahead with upgrading the ram and using an external HDD
any recommendations on the external HDD and will i have to use mac specific ram chips,
thanks, simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
External HD - go for the better-known brands like Hitachi, Seagate, or Western Digital - and read reviews of them! You'll get lots of opinions here, independent reviews are better.

RAM - the best place for Mac-friendly components has to be OWC Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC. I know, there's newegg and craigslist in the US, and they're cheaper, but even from way out here in NZ, I buy from OWC. I know I'll get the right stuff from them.

You should also consider getting the hard drive enclosure from OWC, with or without the hard drive included. Enclosures with the Oxford chipset are better with Mac, but you'll pay more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't buy the modules from a PC shop as PC memory is normally high density and your iMac uses dearer low density modules. Do as hughvane suggests.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.