late 09 MBP boot times

Reaction score
i recently felt my month old mbp seem to boot slower than usual. it used to ba able to come close to matching my 3gs, around 22-30 seconds now it takes noticeably longer, 40-50 seconds. it still works fine but i was wondering why the sudden change. also, the loading wheel (the one at boot, not the rainbow one) stays on longer than it used to. this isnt a huge problem but im a little crazy when it comes to things like this. any help would be nice. its not urgent but im weird when it comes to keeping it in good condition. i shut down every night and always have it in a laptop case when not in use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Same as yours around 45 seconds same configuration but with 250gb hard drive. Note if you keep a lot of things on your desktop and added things to your menu bar this will slow things down.

Reaction score
The more stuff you put on it the longer its going to take. It happens to every computer. I got mine for xmas and my boot time is still 25 secs. That's with iwork, about 2 hours of vids, and about 100 pics. I only put pics on it when I need them.

OP
stickerdontwork
Reaction score
i got the 350 and have 281 left. realistically it has 319. i added up applications and my home folder. i added everything up and it only comes to around 35.12 gbs but it says 38.8 used. where is the rest? i wanna keep my computer clean so i want to know where everything goes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
Go into System Preferences, then Accounts, then Login Items. Take a look at what is being loaded on startup.

I have a 2.4GHZ macbook pro, 4GB ram, 7200rpm hdd. From cold start to fully loaded desktop is 24 seconds for me.

Reaction score
I haven't timed my boot time, but it's interesting to read the disparity on this thread. Some are in the 20s, while others are in the 40s. Is it safe to assume that the longer is takes, the more files you have on your system? I've had my MBP for about a month, so I assume mine should be in the 20s, since I don't have that many files or software on it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The boot time also depends on how fast your boot device is IE. the RPM of the HDD or a SSD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.