partitioning external drive

Reaction score
I downloaded Carbon Copy Clone 3.1, in order to regularly back up my Mac, running OS 10.4.9. Also want to be able to use the external drive to reboot from if, forbid, I should need to do so. CCC says external hard drive must be partitioned and I am unsure how to do that - though I did look at Disk Utility. Any help? Any reason I shouldn't go ahead with the partition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If you only want to use CCC, there's really no reason to partition the external drive. I have mine partitioned but that's because I keep my Time Machine backups separate from my bootable clone.
If you do decide to partition, then yes Disk Utility is the way to do that. Just go to the section that says "Partition" and click on the little "+" sign to add a partition. You can drag the divider bar between the partitions to change their size or manually enter the size in the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Forgot you're using an older OS, so I'm not 100% sure the Disk Utility screens are identical to what I'm used to with Leopard and SL.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for your help!

I'm going to give it a try. After all, seems like the worst that could happen would be that I have to go in and remove the partition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Don't be confused by the CCC instructions. When it says partitioned it's referring to using a partition for backup that is formatted as HFS extended Journaled and the GUID partition scheme. Read the instructions carefully.

If you use any other partition scheme, your backup external hard drive will not boot.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.