Using Firefox on a Mac

Reaction score
So I've had my MBP for about a month now with Snow Leopard and tend to use both Safari and Firefox. Recently, I was on Firefox checking out a few blogs and all of a sudden got a pop-up. I closed the pop-up box and received another pop-up box. I ended up just quitting Firefox and everything was back to normal.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this while using Firefox on a Mac? The reason I switched to Mac from PC was to get away from these issues. I may just use Safari all the time now.

I also cleared the history and cookies of Firefox. But do you think I should reformat my entire MBP just to be on the safe side?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Wow..all this for a pop-up?? You might want to start by installing the Adblock and Flashblock extentions in Firefox. Also, ensure that you have the "Block pop-ups" set in the Firefox configuration.

With these steps, you'll find Firefox is perfectly fine..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the Forums.

As Raz0rEdge points out you do need to control the preferences of your browser/s. If you go into Firefox Preferences > Content and select the Block Pop Up Windows button sure you will have no further problems.

With this selected have never experienced a Pop Up.

OP
eyePawd
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. In my Firefox preferences the "Block Pop-up Windows" is actually selected, which is why I was very surprised by when I received the pop-up. I'll try those Firefox extensions and see if they work. :D

OP
eyePawd
Reaction score
^Thanks for that resource. I'll defintely check it out.

On another note, how concerned should I be about pop-ups on a Mac? Keep in mind, I've only had my MBP for about a month and my assumption has always been that you could never receive pop-ups, spyware, or viruses on a Mac.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Pop-ups != virus/malware/trojans and so on. Many websites have legitimate pop-ups that are no cause for concern and these websites don't care if you're on a Mac or Windows or Linux machine..

Regards

C

chas_m

On a Mac, pop-ups are just ads. Nothing more.

Safari (and Firefox) try to block them, but of course the determined advertisers/malicious virus writers are always trying to find ways around that.

You've already received several recommendations for Firefox, and here's one for Safari (which I happen to like better): Safari Adblock (not to be confused with SafariBlock). It's (obviously) based on Firefox's add-on. I find it works very well.

That plus ClickToFlash and your entire surfing experience is REMARKABLY improved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.