Question about ISP bandwidth limits

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.16 GHz Intel Core2Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 120GB Intel GMA 950 (2007)
If my ISP has a limit, say 25gb/month, does that include all transfers? For example, when I'm seeding a torrent, is my uploading taking up part of my 25gb, or is it just when I'm downloading? I assume it would apply to both, but I'd like to clarify.

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No, it's just downloading that it applies to, at least here in the UK for sure. I can't see that it would be different there.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If your ISP does have a limit..wouldn't it be they who can clearly tell you whether it applies to both upload/download or just downloads? We all have different ISP's and packages..so we're just guessing..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.53 GHz, 4GB Ram, 250GB HD > 2TB TC > 16GB iPhone 3G
If my ISP has a limit, say 25gb/month, does that include all transfers? For example, when I'm seeding a torrent, is my uploading taking up part of my 25gb, or is it just when I'm downloading? I assume it would apply to both, but I'd like to clarify.

Thanks a lot!

Google is your friend!

Shaw's bandwidth rules about 2/3 of the way down. I assume other ISP's will be similar here in Canada... but I've been wrong before :)

Acceptable Use Policy

C

chas_m

Every ISP I have ever used (and I'm presently on Shaw) believes that "bandwidth" runs both ways, ergo uploading AND downloading are all "bandwidth." This is perfectly in line with the definition of the term.

I would be surprised if an ISP had a different definition, but each one is of course free to set their own rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As chas m states, here down under every ISP I have used counts both downloads and uploads towards the limit. If you are not happy look for an ISP that offers 'free' time from say 6am to 10am.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.