good time to buy a MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP silver keys, Iphone 3g, IpodTouch 1st G, IpodNano 1st G, Ipodshuffle 3rd G, Timecapsule.
Hello guys,
I'm afraid it's time to say goodbye to my MBP silverkeys after the latest and most dramatic brakedown. This time is the hard disk. I'm fed up. I get the new one.

But is it a good time?

Look here

Someone says they will introduce the i7 on the 15" or something like that.
Is that true? I would wait until june if it would save me £400 but is it actually going to happen?

I'm not going to die but I would rather need a new machine in the house.

Thanks.

Reaction score
If your looking forward to an i7, then now would not be a good time, I just bought mine though, mainly because they will ALWAYS have a new shiny every 6-10 months. You can bet on it. If you won't feel burned when they come out with the next model though, buy it!
steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello guys,
I'm afraid it's time to say goodbye to my MBP silverkeys after the latest and most dramatic brakedown. This time is the hard disk. I'm fed up. I get the new one.

But is it a good time?

If your old MBP is not working, and if it's your only Mac computer...then right now is a good time to buy!

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP silver keys, Iphone 3g, IpodTouch 1st G, IpodNano 1st G, Ipodshuffle 3rd G, Timecapsule.
Thanks for the quick reply! amazing.

My point is, maybe the one I want is going to be cheaper. I managed to save almost £400 on the last MBP I bought, simply because the unibody was about to be launched in few days. If there's a chance for this situation to occurr again... well... I'd wait.

But there isn't much at all on the net. This makes me think I should just follow you advice Donnut...

I don't know what to do... I spent alredy more than a week on blogs and rumors...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My point is, maybe the one I want is going to be cheaper. I managed to save almost £400 on the last MBP I bought, simply because the unibody was about to be launched in few days. If there's a chance for this situation to occurr again... well... I'd wait.

This is a good way to save some money on a newer or previous generation Mac (I recommend it all of the time)...the only problem is...you have to be willing to wait...but there's no accurate prediction on when the next release/update will happen.

Could be tomorrow...could be 6 months!

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok pigoo3,
I guess the point is that there's no way of knowing it now just yet.

One more week and I'll go for it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok pigoo3,
I guess the point is that there's no way of knowing it now just yet.

One more week and I'll go for it.

Yes...but in one more week...you may say..."just one more week"!;)

And then...one more week...one more week...one more week...one more week;)

You get the idea!;)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know.... I actually got it two weeks ago :D

Thanks mate. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I was faced with that decision around Christmas time but a failing vram on the logic
board of my MBP duo core did not help after my purchase no regret faster processor double the ram faster front side bus more cache and 3 times the hard drive space I wish
I had pulled the trigger months earlier. But no doubt if you want to be on the bleeding edge then the next upgrade will no doubt have the i5 and i7 chips maybe usb 3.0 and cheaper SSD but you can be assured what ever you buy now the replacement is being put through its paces at the same time but that is business.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HAW HAW HAW

Yes...but in one more week...you may say..."just one more week"!

And then...one more week...one more week...one more week...one more week

You get the idea!

- Nick

Sorry Nick, that was confusing.
I GOT the IDEA. :D

Would have been quite embarassing to waste your time for something I did two weeks ago, wouldn't it?

eh eh eh

Sorry about the confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BRAND NEW IMAC 21 inch 4 gb Ram 500 GB HD and a 3.06 ghz Processor
I'm in the same boat as you man. I need a laptop before college. I want to get it early so i can know the machine before classes start. I just switch to a IMAC desktop and it's awesome. Never have owned a macbook though. I just don't know if i should wait or go with a refurbished one from apple.com My thinking is that we will be waiting for a lil while before they release the new line of the MBP.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There will be a release tomorrow!???!!?!?! Finally! jk lol.

Awesome...I'm gonna be looking for the announcement tomorrow!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I wonder if the new i7 MBP's will still be able to remain as thin and sleek...hmmm

On this topic though, I don't see the big deal about waiting for a machine that you have no use for anyway. Just to be in the new and latest crowd? How many people can truly say they need or even can use the power of i7 processor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I wonder if the new i7 MBP's will still be able to remain as thin and sleek...hmmm

On this topic though, I don't see the big deal about waiting for a machine that you have no use for anyway. Just to be in the new and latest crowd? How many people can truly say they need or even can use the power of i7 processor?

I don't use the full power of my month old MBP and I would be willing to bet
I am not alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I don't use the full power of my month old MBP and I would be willing to bet
I am not alone.

Exactly! This weekend I had lightroom open exporting files, photoshop open rendering plenty of images, and DW open uploading about 5GB to a server all WHILE browsing the net through firefox, and istening to music through iTunes. All this on a core 2 duo at 2.8ghz and 4GB ram. Virtually with no holds up or bottlenecks what so ever.

Point is....95% of people (and yes even professionals) don't need close to what they think they really need.

Of course I'm talking about computing power and ability not hard drive space. As I could surely do with a MBP with at least 1TB of space ;).

Reaction score
This is a good way to save some money on a newer or previous generation Mac (I recommend it all of the time)...the only problem is...you have to be willing to wait...but there's no accurate prediction on when the next release/update will happen.

Could be tomorrow...could be 6 months!

- Nick

Exactly! This weekend I had lightroom open exporting files, photoshop open rendering plenty of images, and DW open uploading about 5GB to a server all WHILE browsing the net through firefox, and istening to music through iTunes. All this on a core 2 duo at 2.8ghz and 4GB ram. Virtually with no holds up or bottlenecks what so ever.

Point is....95% of people (and yes even professionals) don't need close to what they think they really need.

Of course I'm talking about computing power and ability not hard drive space. As I could surely do with a MBP with at least 1TB of space ;).

But it's just like having that sports car that drives way to fast to technically be legal. Having super ultra powerful toys is a blast! lol...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry brockmant and great apple, I think you missed my point.

I was trying to understand if I could have saved some money to get the same model.
let's say I spend £1700 on an i5 now, and my very same computer costs £1300 in a couple of weeks because there's a new one in.

that's all.

anyway, I'm about to buy it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.