Mac OSX 10.5.8 desktop not displaying files since running software updates

Reaction score
I ran software updates on a Mac Pro last week and since then none of the files that are located on the desktop are visible. I can randomly click on the desktop and the file reappear. However, a reboot renders then invisible again. I have deleted the com.apple.Finder.plist and the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist files in the /Users/Library/Preferences directory. This did not fix the problem. I have run Verify and repair disk permissions with Disk Utilities. I have done an fsck -fy in single user mode. I have not run any third party utilities on the system. Where do I go from here besides doing an "Archive and Install"?

OP
I
Reaction score
I tried that, bvut the problem still existed. However, I copied all of the users file from their Desktop folder to a new folder, rebooted and added the files back a few at a time. That was the solution. Something had to have corrupted the com.apple.finder.plist and deleting the file and rebooting did not fix it. This is now resolved. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.