Macbook Pro Question regarding USB 2.0 and Firewire

Reaction score
I'm new here - so first off - Hello!!!!

I am currently looking into buying a Macbook Pro for video and multi-track music editing (using an Apogee duet) but am concerned by the lack of a 2nd Firewire port. Since my video camera utilized firewire, I am concerned that I will not be able to attach a high speed firewire drive to save my digitized video to. I do not want to save it to the internal drive.

Do I need the 17" with the card port for an additional port? Or do you think the USB 2.0 would handle the video fine when digitizing from the camera?

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Unless things have changed you can daisy chain several devices using firewire .

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you!

Unless things have changed you can daisy chain several devices using firewire .

So I would run the hard drive first in the chain and then the camera? Since the camera doesn't have an out, I will have to make sure my drive is able to chain.

Thanks for this information! I did not even realize this is the case!

C

chas_m

Every FW drive I've ever seen has a second FW port, so this should not be a problem.

Reason #71 why FW trumps USB2. :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody! Just 1 follow up!

How would the 2.66 GHZ vs. 2.8 Ghz processors impact my work? I was going to bump up to 8GB of RAM and want to understand how the processors would impact workload in something like Logic Studio for multi-track editing. Is it worth the extra $400 for extra Ghz or the extra $600 for the Ram? If I had to pick 1 - which would impact my work more?

Thanks again, guys and gals!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd
I would say the extra ram would have a greater impact than 0.14 Ghz of processor.

If you don't have to be mobile consider getting an Imac that has a bigger processor. (plus the screen is huge)

OP
K
Reaction score
I would say the extra ram would have a greater impact than 0.14 Ghz of processor.

If you don't have to be mobile consider getting an Imac that has a bigger processor. (plus the screen is huge)

Have to be mobile but was considering the iMac. Thanks for your input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.