problems installing Windows XP

Reaction score
I have been trying to install Windows XP. During windows setup it says;
Windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing. How do I find and install this?

OP
P
Reaction score
Problems installing Windows XP

Thank you for the file but I really don't know what to do with it at this stage of the install.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thank you for the file but I really don't know what to do with it at this stage of the install.

Did you go to the link he provided and follow the instructions given for correcting the "missing hal.dll error"?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
obviously not since he doesn't "know what to do with it at this stage of the install". ;)

Ah well. You can lead a horse to water...

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry I am so dumb---I am a nervous senior citizen and am so afraid of messing my machine up!
I did go to that site but where Windows is still in the install stage and not actually on my PC I didn't know how to go about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Your best bet is start over with a fresh install through Bootcamp.

Delete the old partition and make it fully Macintosh, then go through the Bootcamp helper again. If the error comes back again, check your Windows XP installation disc for scratches or fingerprints and clean if necessary. I'd request a new disc from Microsoft if it still gives you trouble.

No need to be nervous - most people don't bother with installing another operating system on their machine. Consider yourself adventurous. ;)

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I got windows installed but am unsure about installing mac drivers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, I need the mac drivers for the keyboard

Boot into Windows XP, and then insert your OS X install DVD. It should automatically startup and install all necessary drivers that your Mac needs to run in Windows. (including the keyboard) You can also (later on) go to the site that you were given in the previous reply and download updated drivers while in Windows.

If you need more help, just post back.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I have Windows installed with keyboard controls. Everything looking good so far. Love this forum!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.