Imac G4 SuperDrive only read osx disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Power Book, Imac G4
I have been searhing high and low. Please tell me I can fix this. I just got this imac for dirt cheap. I used my 10.4 install disc to boot from holding c and installed osx. My imac g4 1ghz 512mb ram for some reason only wants to read the osx 10.4 cdrs. I have tried other audio cdrs, and dvds. It only reads the install disc. any info be great guys.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sounds like the CD/DVD drive might be getting old. Are the Audio CD's pressed factory or burned? Reason I ask is when a Optical drive is starting to die it's usually burned media that seems to have issues first. Since it reads 10.4 which I am sure is a DVD if it's just one disc, that is a pressed DVD and not like burned media.

It might need a new Optical drive. You might check OWC and see if they have a replacement as the 1 Ghz Round iMacs probably use a non standard drive.

http://eshop.macsales.com/static_pages/Framework.cfm?page=superdrive/sdl_imac_g4.html

Does your iMac G4 have a 17" or 15" display?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Power Book, Imac G4
The 10.4 install disc are burnt media on 4 cdrs. I have tried original audios and burnt, also burnt and original dvds. and my display is a 15 "

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.