• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video and photo editing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2.66GHz quad-core
Hi Everyone I'm new on this forum ! I just bought a 27 inch I Mac 2.66GHz quad-core wich is a little different (not much though) from my last Mac a Mac Plus with a 20 Meg Hard drive back in the day). I guess things change for the better ! I am trying to find a way to make special effects with my pictures while editing videos and pictures in I movie. Is there a way to make those effect or I have to use another software to import my photo editing as is and integrate them with my videos. My other problem is I have a HD video cam JVC HD everio 60 gig and I cant download my HD videos on my Mac any sugestions on what software I should get to be able to see on my Mac my videos and edit them ! Thanks Deuce

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
Welcome to the forums my friend. I too am looking for some pointers to the water drop effect for video transitions.

C

chas_m

Enverio camcorders use a proprietary form of MPEG-2. Just rename the resulting files .mpg and you should now be able to play them. The free program MPEG Streamclip will be able to convert them, though you will probably need the $30 MPEG-2 Playback component from Apple.

iMovie is limited to just the transition effects that it comes with (including one specific one that I would have described as "water drop", have you checked that out?).

Now, I could insert my treasured lecture about how "dissolve" is pretty much all the transition effect a video really needs, but I have a hunch it will fall on deaf ears. :)

You may want to investigate other video editors for the Mac, from the cross-platform ZS4 (doesn't look like much is going on there), to YourView ($30), to Norkross ($60), Adobe Premiere Pro ($800), and Final Cut Express ($199, but includes the $30 MPEG-2 Playback Component as its made by Apple). But definitely check out the video transitions offered by iMovie first -- it will save you a lot of money if you can just get by with it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
Thanks, found it, its called "Ripple".

I will have a play around with iMovie, although Im already a little confused where to start, as its not like what Im used to. Imported HD footage from camera fine, and actually opted for the large size rather that full size seeing as this is my first edit.

OP
Deuce
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2.66GHz quad-core
Video editing

Enverio camcorders use a proprietary form of MPEG-2. Just rename the resulting files .mpg and you should now be able to play them. The free program MPEG Streamclip will be able to convert them, though you will probably need the $30 MPEG-2 Playback component from Apple.

iMovie is limited to just the transition effects that it comes with (including one specific one that I would have described as "water drop", have you checked that out?).

Now, I could insert my treasured lecture about how "dissolve" is pretty much all the transition effect a video really needs, but I have a hunch it will fall on deaf ears. :)

You may want to investigate other video editors for the Mac, from the cross-platform ZS4 (doesn't look like much is going on there), to YourView ($30), to Norkross ($60), Adobe Premiere Pro ($800), and Final Cut Express ($199, but includes the $30 MPEG-2 Playback Component as its made by Apple). But definitely check out the video transitions offered by iMovie first -- it will save you a lot of money if you can just get by with it!

Chas_m I tried it but it did not really work ! Even when I bring the matter at my local apple store nobody seems to be able to help me ! The cam corder is a JVC GZ-HD3U full HD 1080 video camcorder. I have been able to transfer the tod files on my I Mac but even using Clipwrap 2.0 Apple - Downloads - Video - ClipWrap it still do not work ! Can you help me out ! Thanks Deuce

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Have you tried not transferring the files to the Mac, but rather leaving the files on the camera and hooking it (the camera) up to your Mac to see if iMovie will properly identify and ingest the footage from the camera?

Take a look at this thread which may help you (you may need to specially configure your camcorder to make future footage work, with your existing footage, if it's not recognized, the only option is transcoding to another container/codec that will work with iMovie) Apple - Support - Discussions - iMovie Won't Recognize JVC GZ-HD3U ...

Unfortunately, you've got one of (IMHO) worst cameras when it comes to pure file support. It uses its' own proprietary format that is pseudo mpeg. Usually if anyone asks me if they should get a JVC camcorder to edit with, honestly, I suggest no because of incompatibilities. Camcorders that record HD to tape (HDV) or to AVCHD (SD card, HDD, etc.) are much more widely supported across different platforms.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.