Planning on the switch

Reaction score
Hello to all.... I have never used a Mac, but am looking to switch from a PC to a Mac. I think that I am going to go with a 13" Macbook Pro, and a 24" monitor. I would like the 15", but cost is a factor.

I am sure there is loads of stuff that I don't know yet, but one question that I can think of right now is this:

Can I use the wireless router that I have for my PC, or do I need an Airport? Again, I am not too savy with the Mac world yet. Are most items PC, and Mac comatable, or do I need to be weary of what I buy.

I guess the main thing that I am concered about, is hidden costs. I want to be prepared for them. Meaning, I don't want to finally get home with a Mac, then realize I need to spend another $X to get what I want.

Any other tips, or general info would be great as well!!! Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Hello to all.... I have never used a Mac, but am looking to switch from a PC to a Mac. I think that I am going to go with a 13" Macbook Pro, and a 24" monitor. I would like the 15", but cost is a factor.

I am sure there is loads of stuff that I don't know yet, but one question that I can think of right now is this:

Can I use the wireless router that I have for my PC, or do I need an Airport? Again, I am not too savy with the Mac world yet. Are most items PC, and Mac comatable, or do I need to be weary of what I buy.

I guess the main thing that I am concered about, is hidden costs. I want to be prepared for them. Meaning, I don't want to finally get home with a Mac, then realize I need to spend another $X to get what I want.

Any other tips, or general info would be great as well!!! Thanks in advance!!

Cant comment on the router but for "other tips"...Dont be surprised if your old printer doesnt work as expected (unless it is OSX compatible). I ran into a problem where the ink jet would print perfectly but I couldnt clean the nozzles of align them unless I was running XP in bootcamp.

Reaction score
A router is a router, wired or wireless the protocol used is the same for a Mac or a PC. All you will have to do is either plug the new Mac in or connect to the wireless just like you are used to doing.

I just switched about 3 months ago and I have not had any issues with hidden costs. You will be happy with the change.

Reaction score
All Mac computers have an Airport card built right in.
There's no need to use an external one- or install an internal one for that matter.
You can also connect directly to ethernet.
Wireless routers work with any computer, most any OS. Including Mac OS X.

The only "hidden string attached" is Mobile Me ($100 USD), and iWork '09 (30-Day free trial, $40 after), both of which are optional downloads. iLife (iPhoto, iWeb, GarageBand, iMovie, iDVD) is free. Mac OS X does not need any stupid activation fee-there isn't one. However, upgrading to a later version of Mac OS X (which after Snow Leopard, most Mac users will do) will cost something. But that's later on. Everything works right out of the box! Enjoy. :D

C

chas_m

I doubt you'll need to replace your printer (unless it's really old, like >5 years), but even if you do, pretty much every brand works well with Macs. As a guide to buying hardware, I always like to look on apple's store website: if its there, then Apple *knows* it works well with Macs. If its not there, just look on the box for the system requirements.

PS. Airports are better than most routers, but as Tater2Stock says, they are all compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
FYI: Dell printers do not work with Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD
No need, as others have stated, to worry at all about your wireless router not being compatible. It may be a good idea, when purchasing new hardware items, to check and see either with Apple, or a trusted website (MacForums!) to see if the hardware will work. Most hardware does though, if you are talking about a mouse, a keyboard, printer, etc. Hidden fees? There are none really. You get exactly what you are paying for. You will not get any real office software unless you purchase iWork or Word for Mac (I recommend iWork, as it is cheaper, just as [if not more] functional as Word, and is able to convert to Word format). iLife is going to be included with your mac purchase. No real hidden fees, again. Of course, for any major OS upgrades (Ex. 10.6 -> 10.7) you are going to have to pay for.

Come back here for any other questions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
I just bought a new Netgear n band wireless router. I think the receiver part of the Macbook Pros wireless card is not as strong as on Windows notebooks. My work Windows notebook picks it up strongly with no interruptions anywhere in the place. The Macbook Pro drops it pretty often.

This might explain why the Apple Airport routers are stronger. They HAVE to be, to account for the weaker receivers in the Macbooks. (just my theory)

I might cave in and get one, but I'm a little afraid that I won't be able to hook up to it easily on the Windows notebook... (I also don't like the idea of having to drop another $100 right away)

C

chas_m

FYI: Dell printers do not work with Macs.

Dell doesn't make their own printer. Dell does not actually "make" anything.

They re-badge Lexmark printers. All you have to do is figure out which Lexmark model it is, download the Mac driver, and done.

C

chas_m

I just bought a new Netgear n band wireless router. I think the receiver part of the Macbook Pros wireless card is not as strong as on Windows notebooks. My work Windows notebook picks it up strongly with no interruptions anywhere in the place. The Macbook Pro drops it pretty often.

This might explain why the Apple Airport routers are stronger. They HAVE to be, to account for the weaker receivers in the Macbooks. (just my theory)

That's a valid theory, and I can't refute it, but I'm not buying it. I think there's something else going on (like interference from the PC or something).

I might cave in and get one, but I'm a little afraid that I won't be able to hook up to it easily on the Windows notebook...

If you find that you do pick up an Airport router, you should have no trouble at all with the Windows stuff. IME that's a non-issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.