iMac fans blasting more in Tiger?

C

code777

My friend asked me to try something last night. He has the Rev. B 17" while I have the older one. Anyway he says everytime he imports music into iTunes his fans go full blast. I never experienced that. I mean my fans get a little louder but not full blast take off. But when I did import some songs my fans go full blast! This never happened before. Is this a fluke? Or is this Tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac bondie blue 233mhz 320mb ram 2 meg vram 4gig HD and a Beige G3 A/V 266 OCed to 300mhz 64mb ram
it could be the cd cpinning up like in the powerbooks

but that is odd that it would do that if it isnt

OP
C

code777

i swear, last month i was importing a bunch of CDs for my pod and the fans did rev up a bit but nothing drastic. When I use iMovie the fans get kinda loud at times but I expected that... but my friends new Rev. B fans go full blast (maybe not full but loud!) when he's importing music. I did the same last night and my fans were loud as heck. I've never heard them that loud! Even when using iMovie. Should be noted i was using my LaCie DVD burner to import music. Not the internal drive so I could hear the different fans going off.

Maybe it is Tiger then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I thought I was going to wait until 10.4.1 to update, but I am thinking I might just wait until 10.4.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
fans on Imac

Murlyn said:
I thought I was going to wait until 10.4.1 to update, but I am thinking I might just wait until 10.4.2

hi

my fans have gotten much louder since installing tiger
- the only way to calm them down is to use reduced option
in engergy saver.

mind you it was no better in panther, i've learned to live with it because
apple just seem to make it worse with each upgrade, they clearly don't have an answer unless you badger them for more hardware, replacement
mid planes - you name it - nothing stops the fan noise ramping up to unbearable levels.

regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
Wow, this seems to be an big issue. I had a Rev B 17" iMac, and the fans were always on, and just like code777's friend, when I would import music from a CD into iTunes, it was so loud, that I could not use VoIP in iChat due to the noise of the CD Spinning and the Fans. The 17" unit I had always ran really hot, and this was with my processor performance set to automatic.

After 3 hardware incidents with the Video I switched my unit with a 20" iMac, it it is whisper quiet. When I import into iTunes, I can bearly hear the CD spin, and I'm still importing at 14x or faster. Also, I bearly ever hear my fans.

Thanks,
Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Just to throw in an opposite experience, my fans have not increased in volume at all since my upgrade to Tiger. My compter was wisper quiet before the upgrade, and remains so with 10.4.1. I sure hope Apple figures out what is going on here, and makes this more consistant for you. :/ It must be the 17" vs. 20" thing.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
to be honest i don't really know what the iMac G5 is supposed to sound like. I have the 17in version, brand new and i can hear the fans but it really is not lous until i start using iTunes and the iLife stuff at the same time. I never had Panther on this machine so i can't compare. But if i would compare this to my old G3 AIO this iMac is really quite. :)

Just my $.02

OP
C

code777

20" seems to not have increased fan noize issue. Interesting... just been reading on the 'net about it and went to the local store to ask about it. Although so called Mac Geniuses at the store say there is no such fan noize issue... ?????? This kid i was talking to told me how he use to work as a Geek Sqaud member across the street at BB. dear lord...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
I posted information about this in my 17" vs 20" iMac thread.

I need to take back some of what I said about the 20" vs 17" fan noise issue. I puchased a 17" for my mom yesterday, and her 17" is basically as quiet as my 20". Her 17" has a bit more fan noise / whine to it and it sounds like they spin up more often, but it's not really noticable unless you are paying attention to it.

My old 17" (Rev B) was always at like 75% or higher on the fans and with a CD in motion in the drive, it was like a Gulfstream GV jet was taking off on my desk. My system ended up having hardware problems, so I would say that my noise issues were due to that.

Thanks,
Ray

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.