Fatal Error???

M

mdscouter

Since installing Tiger I have been having all sorts of problems and I decided to do a clean install on my powerbook G4

Before doing that I ran the Disk Utility and it came back with "Fatal hardware Error" and "S.M.A.R.T status: Failing"

So I ran the hardware test from the installation disk but all of the hardware passed the tests.

So my question is: What do I do now? Replace the hard drive anyway? Any idea how much they run?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I'd say trst the apple hw test, but if SMART is failing, that drive is definitely going down, OWC(macsales.com) and newegg.com are probably going to be the most inexpensive, unless its still under apples warranty, then they'll replace it for free.

OP
M

mdscouter

Is this something I can replace myself or should I take it to the Apple Store?

OP
J

JRJ26

mdscouter said:
Is this something I can replace myself or should I take it to the Apple Store?
sigh I'm having the same problem right now on my PowerBook. It would always say error when i tried an Archive and whatever installation, then I checked what you checked, and it gave the same fatal error message. I'm doing a clean install now b/c I didn't really have important info on it, and so far it's progressing more than before. What happened with yours?

OP
O

OccamMD

How do you do a completely clean install? I am having trouble burning DVD's on my 15" PB since installing iLife '05 and Tiger and would like to wipe it and reinstall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
insert the os install disc 1, shut down your mac with the disc still inserted, start up your mac while holding down C on the keyboard as soon as you push the power button, follow the instructions on screen, then, at the screen where you choose the install location, there should be a button that says options near the bottom of the page, in the options window, select erase and install. make sure you back up any important info, everything will be erased.

OP
O

OccamMD

thanks, I'll give it a shot as soon as I make sure all directories are backed up. I just uploaded backup from .mac so that should help me out.

OP
M

mdscouter

Well I couldn't even get it to do a clean install. I kept getting a flashing black screen with some text about not finding a file. I tried to call my local apple store (2.5 hours away) but the person who answered the phone just said they couldn't help me and hung up!

I finally called Apple Care and they came and picked it up Monday. Since I am not that confident in taking apart a Mac (not a problem with PCs) I sent it to them for repair. Whole thing will run me about $340 and that includes overnight shipping to and from them. In fact, the DHL guy waited while I boxed the laptop up and then took with him so I didn't have to call for a pickup.

I am sure there are some places where this could have been done for less, however are none by me. It is still cheaper than replacing the whole powerbook. The only downside is that I can not get my PC (granted it is an older model) to read the external drive that I had copied all my files to from the Mac. I never realized how much I use that computer until I didn't have it!

OP
M

mdscouter

I got the machine today!!!! Talk about a fast turnaround time. P/U Monday return on Wed. Well worth it. Now I have to reinstall all my programs but we will see what happens.

OP
J

JRJ26

Yeah, the clean install didn't work for me either. I went to this store called Digital Society in Manhattan(right by Washington Square Park, b/c i'm taking a summer class at NYU), and they're replacing the hard drive. B/c it's still under warranty(it'll be up next month for the year, but I got Apple Care anyway), I don't pay anything! Anyway, I just want my PB back so i can try out Tiger.

OP
M

mdscouter

JRJ - boy are lucky - still under warranty. I didn't get apple care because it was too $$ at the time and my system is past the warranty. I had some problems just before the warranty expired but was able to get going again and since the hardware test did not show a problem I let it go. I know better now.

Tiger is awesome now that my harddrive has been replaced!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.