Clamxav

Reaction score
Where do i drag the ScanwithClamxav plugin? It says click home and then find contextual menu items in the library but it doesn't say contextual menu items. It says contextual menu items when i go to Library from Macintosh HD. Does it just mean to go to the library from Macintosh HD? Any help is appreciated.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you but its still recommended to have antivirus so I would like to have it. I want to know if i installed clamxav correctly. Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Recommended by whom... the anti-virus companies?

Here is the latest from Apple.

Apple - Mac OS X - Security - Keeps safe from viruses and malware

There are extremely few long time OS X users (at least in this forum) that have any anti-virus installed.
If you want to keep it, perhaps someone that uses clamxav will come along to answer your question. If not, you might want to ask over in the clamxav forums.

OP
E
Reaction score
Would you recommend i get rid of it? I am using Leopard not Snow Leopard.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My personal recommendation?

I do not now, nor have I run an a-v on my Mac since I've had one and see no reason to start using one at this time.

There are currently zero viruses in the wild, zero worms in the wild and only a couple of Trojans. You are safe from those if you're not downloading illegal/pirated software.

The only good reason I see for most folks to run an a-v on their Mac 'at this time' is if you're one of those that get a bunch of what I call trash mail from friends with all kinds of "cute junk" and you tend to resend that stuff on to your other windows using friends. An a-v can help prevent passing a virus along (one that won't affect your Mac in any way).

However, installing an a-v is the first thing I do with my new Windows boxes and should be the same for them. I leave it to them to take care of their own Win machine, same as I do mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And who did recommend it? If you intend to run Windows via Boot Camp or any other program, then be sure to download Microsoft Security Essentials whilst in the Windows program and run that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No they don't as there are no Mac ODS X viri and safe browsing and avoiding pirate sites will steer you clear of trojans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13.3" 2.26GHz C2D & 2 GB 1067MHz DDR3
I've had my Mac for about six to seven months now and I've never installed anti-virus software. I do have LittleSnitch as my firewall, but that's a whole new ballpark. The links you have been provided with, Eminem, are a good read and will shed some light onto the suggestions made throughout this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.