Upgrading Hard-drive Macbook Pro - wrong connectors

Reaction score
I got a WD 1TB My Passport essential (portable) hard-drive yesterday and opened my MacBook Pro 17'' Unibody (new april 09) to exchange it with the internal drive (320gb Fujitsu).

I was maybe stupid by buying the external drive, but did A LOT of research to see if this could be done - and it seemed it could!! The size of the new drive is no problem at all - it fits snugly. The only problem is that the connectors are far from the same!!

I took pictures of both drives that I can include if it's wanted.

Can anyone help me find a "converter" so that I can use the new hard-drive as my internal drive??? Or send me in some direction that can help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
You need a Sata drive not sure if you can find a converter, you may have to return your drive.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are still a whole bunch (as in most) of manufacturers using IDE (aka ATA) drives in their external enclosures. You will not be able to use these drives as a replacement for your internal SATA.

Practically every external enclosure you find that does not specify the type of drive it's using, will be using an IDE drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.