• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need to rip VR DVD to HD for editing.

Reaction score
Got some horrible primitive gear and the closest I can get my cam vids to my HD is on a DVD which I don't seem to be able to rip. I've downloaded a few dozen programs and none of them will recognize the DVD as an acceptable media. It's in VR format and plays fine in DVD players. Handbrake won't even install (if it could even get the job done.) G4 Tower running Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah, I finally got that to work. It's a mess though, it just makes one huge movie file. I figured out how to create proper dvds off the camera, but when I rip them to the HD, it still merges all the individual chapters (in this case, my takes) into one file instead of like 30 different movie files, so it's almost impossible to edit it.

Is there a program or am I missing an option to rip chapters from a dvd into separate movie files?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.