• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

My .avi Movies not compatible with Imovie?

Reaction score
Hi there,

i'm pretty knew to the macs and have decided to make a lil Movie of One Tree Hill Season 1 however, when i went to import them it said importing and then when 'creating thumbnails' nothing happens. Have searched over this forum about .avi movies and seem to be pretty confused!

Can anyone help me with what i can use to convert or if im doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Luke,

I am not too sure i completely understand your problem, but i'll give it a shot anyhow! If you are ripping the origina dvds to an avi file then there is a bit of free software that does it, however it needs to be downloaded. One that i have personally used is called Burn. The link is below:

Burn - Home

However, if you already have a collection of .avi files laying around and you are just looking to merge them i did some research and a product by the name Free DVD Ripper seems to be pretty good. The link is below:

DVD Ripper Suite for Mac - Aimersoft DVD Ripper Suite for Mac

Hopefully this is what you were looking for. If not repost, and ill try again :)

Good luck!
Ekim

OP
L
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the post I'll try be more specific I kinda wanna cut n edit the episodes and put music behind it etc. But can't seem to import them they are all avi and 1 is mpeg which is greyed out when searching to import so guess that isn't compatible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Hey thanks for the post I'll try be more specific I kinda wanna cut n edit the episodes and put music behind it etc. But can't seem to import them they are all avi and 1 is mpeg which is greyed out when searching to import so guess that isn't compatible

Try the DVD Ripper software, that should do what you are looking for

OP
L
Reaction score
What do I convert it to? I have tried divx converter and that didn't seem to work :s

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.