TextEdit problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 core Mac Pro, 21.5" iMac, 13" Macbook Pro, iPhone 4
After a few seconds of using TextEdit it must try to auto save the document but I keeps interrupting my typing with this message:

"This document could not be autosaved because you don’t have write access privileges to the folder that it’s in."

I though it might be a permission problem so have run the fix permissions but still won't get rid of it. This is only happening on my new 21.5" iMac running 10.6.2

Any ideas

Reaction score
Where is the file you're editing? Is it in your Home folder? Or somewhere else?
If not in your Home folder, do a get info on the folder and see if you have permission to write.
You might have to copy the file somewhere else to save it.

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 core Mac Pro, 21.5" iMac, 13" Macbook Pro, iPhone 4
This happens before I actually save and name the file. So I assume it will be a temp file that OSX creates itself. I use TextEdit for quick typing and spell checking before cut and pasting elsewhere (Usually my website) therefore I don't usually need to save the document.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
If you want to disable this completely, go to preferences -> open and save. There you can adjust how often it auto saves or completely turn it off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.