getting my mac hooked up wireless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 2.53 GHZ intel 2 duo 4 gb
I have had macs for yeard but have never used them with wireless routers. I had purchased a linksys WRT54G about 2 years ago and never ended up using it. Have moved into a new house and wanted to now hook it up. when I opened it I noticed that the software that came with the router is not compatable with mac. I then called Linksys support line and basically they would not answer any questions for me because after giving them the model # they told me that it was out of warrranty and now I would have to pay for phone support. I explained the situation and just tried to ask if there was a software download for mac on their site which I could not find. they would not even answer my questions without paying. I would like to know if there is any way I can get this wireless router to work with my present Imac.I am using Mac os 10.5.8. My wife wants to purchase an Ibook and will be using it for that also if possible. I do have a hardwire to my mac now but thought I would like to get this working especially for a new laptop purchase. HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
first, apply power to the router.

then, using an ethernet cable, hook the imac to the router.

open a safari window and type in the standard IP address for the router. i think it is 192.168.1.1.
if that is not it, go to preferences>Network>click on Built in Ethernet>Click on TCP/IP and this is where you should find your router IP.
Type the router IP into the address bar of the Safari window.

you will need to know the standard login and password.
once you have entered the login information you will be able to set up your router using the web-based application on the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
You may find that you are unable to save any changes that you make to the Admin page of the Linksys. My browser of choice is Safari but could not save changes in it, so have FireFox installed just for dealing to Linksys. Will the Linksys be replacing the unit that is connected now?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You may find that you are unable to save any changes that you make to the Admin page of the Linksys. My browser of choice is Safari but could not save changes in it, so have FireFox installed just for dealing to Linksys. Will the Linksys be replacing the unit that is connected now?

Did you upgrade the firmware on the Linksys? I have never had issues with Safari and Linksys when I had the latest firmware installed on the Linksys. I did have your issue with one and upgrading solved it.

To the OP, Colin is correct. If it's a brand new Linksys, plug your Mac into one of the ports 1-4 and open either Safari or Firefox and input 192.168.1.1. When the screen comes up, Username is blank and Password is admin.

You can configure from there. If you need any help with the settings let us know.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 2.53 GHZ intel 2 duo 4 gb
Thanks for the info, I got it up and running with no problem..thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.