Microsoft Money to Quicken Mac

Reaction score
I'm still using my old PC for Money. I'd like to switch this over to my Mac, but the options are not great. I thought about running parallels, but don't really want to load Windows on the Mac, and Money is being discontinued anyway.

Does anyone know if I can switch my Windows-Money to Mac OS-X-Quicken? I have thought about buying a Microsoft version of Quicken, converting Money to Quicken on the PC, then buying a Mac version of Quicken, but this seems ridiculous.

Any other good options?

C

chas_m

The Quicken people have a page up about their product and I would imagine you'd get a better answer from them than you would from anyone here.

There are other solutions for financial management on the Mac besides Quicken. You might check into those as well -- might be a better "match" for you.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks; the intuit site doesn't answer this question. Do you know of any programs specifically that are well used / liked? Has to be able to import from Mic Money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
cmb13 - where are you based? Seems that all the mac products are USA based and are more than a bit annoying for UK users.r checking account to make balloon payments on your stock options you're in luck. If you use cheques and buy shares MS Money is the one I'd go for running nder parallels, bootcamp, fusion or whatever.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks; the intuit site doesn't answer this question. Do you know of any programs specifically that are well used / liked? Has to be able to import from Mic Money.

The answer is YES you can export MS Money files to Quicken Mac, iBank, and many other Mac programs. I use the very handy "CheckBook" for Mac and my MS Money files exported to that program as well.

The key to exporting your data is always use the "Export to QIF" option. Since Quicken and just about any other finance program that I can think of will accept QIF imports, you should have no trouble whatsoever.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, I'll check into these options. I'm in the USA (FL).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 Inch Quadcore iMac - first Apple
For what its worth, I've just switched to Mac (and I don't want to load Windows on to it)
I have been a Quicken for Win user for years and have found the switch to MoneyDance pretty painless so far - still trialling.

Reaction score
The only serious casualty in my switch from Win to Mac 5+ years ago was Quicken. I used it religiously in Windows -- the Mac version was, well, nothing at all like the Win version in terms of functionality and user friendliness. That combined with Intuit starting to charge banks a license fee to "fully" implement Quicken so that it would automatically download accounts, update, and reconcile (which it used to do for free), and the banks not going along (and hence losing that functionality) killed it for me.

Reaction score
MS Money on the mac

I had the same issue when I bought my Macbook and following a recommendation from a mac user posting on another discussion forum, tried Crossover from codeweavers.com. i use the 2003 version of MS money and although Crossover does not officially support any versions of MS money, mine works fine, without any need for disc partitioning or a windows licence and at around £26 here in the UK is by far the cheapest option. I'm still using the 30 day trial version just to make sure there are no problems with crossover and will definitely pay up soon. There is some loss of functionality with a few shortcut keys not working and the back up to a separate disc or drive needs to be done manually but that is a small price to pay for retaining my 13 years of finance files intact and useable on my mac.

Reaction score
running parallels on your system isn't too bad at all, i find it useful for situations like this

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As the above thread pointed out, (back in Feb of this year) MS Money, Quicken for Win, and most other Windows finance programs have an export feature to QIF format. Every Mac financial program that I have looked at can import the QIF file into its respective data base. There may be some things that don't quite match the new data base but usually it's only a matter of changing a few titles and moving on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.