Trying to set up internet sharing to ps3=frusturating!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook6,1: 2.26 GHz, 4gb RAM 300gb HD, Iphone 3g 8gb, Ipod nano 16gb
Okay... So this subject has been in a couple threads that weren't finished. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use my iphones 3g to get a ps3 online. Some people will say it's not possible but I know it has been done. Hope someone replies, 3 days looking for a solution with no luck, most of the info I've found regards PCs and people using broadband connections.

Have a new ps3 slim 250gb, a new macbook OX S 10.6.2, and an iphone 3g with Rogers in Canada (unlimited data). I have NO home wifi/cable internet, just my iphones 3g tethered to the mac via Bluetooth PAN or usb, which has been GREAT (even streaming good quality movies/downloading), but the ps3 won't connect. I can share my connection with iphones and laptops with no problems!

Whether I try to set up a wired(ethernet) or wireless connection from the mac to the ps3, I get the same outcome. It will show me my macbooks SSID, (even saying 100% signal strength), and it will successfully recognize the IP address (after entering manually), but the internet connection will fail (DNS error 80710102).

I've heard that ps3's don't "like" macs, does that have any truth behind it?? I saw a thread on another site that someone successfully hooked up their iphones 3g to their ps3 with a usb wifi "dongle" connected into the computer, but it was not elaborated on very much, and I'm not sure which type of dongle I would need. If anyone has any ideas on this subject they will be greatly appreciated!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wish I could be of more help but don't own a PS3. Do most of my gaming in Windows. I also have seen a couple of threads where people with PS3's were having your issue but have never seen a solution given.

It should work. And it does with other iphones and notebooks as you have found out. I see no reason why it's not getting you internet. Why do you have to manually assign an IP? The Macs ICS should be automatically doing that for you. The one assigned by OSX via ICS should be in the 10.0.1.? IP Range via DHCP.

What happens if you don't put in an IP manually? Does the PS3 have a setting for DHCP?

I set up a friends XBox 360 that way and it worked great.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I dont put the IP in manually, it will fail to obtain it. The only thing it will find automatically is the SSID, and show me 100% signal strength but always pops up with that mysterious dns error code. I think it does have DHCP, but something is not working. I have the wii hooked up fine! I have tried every suggestion totally lost and not very tech-savvy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
Have you tried Googling the error code?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes and it's actually amazing how many other people have this problem. I have searched extensively online and most suggestions are:
turning on and off your router and ps3
entering in different dns servers (tried MANY)
and entering different IP addresses
changing your router IP to 10.0.2.2 (mac airport id)?

So does anyone else have an iphone, a mac, and a ps3 linked together in ANY way?? I still think the usb wifi dongle seemed good, but I don't know what I would be looking for, what make or model, with what features? This was all supposed to be so easy!! lol

I know it's the ps3, because even my Wii hooked up with no problems at all. The ps3 won't find anything automatically. I wish Sony would just do something differently because it is obvious that there's TONS of people who encounter this!! Just google DNS error 80710102 and you will find alot. But I'm not using normal high speed or a PC, so it's harder for me to find anything. I've still tried any seemingly good idea that had gotten good feedback with no results..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is a stab in the dark but I am wondering if for some reason the PS3 does not like the 10.0.2.2 IP Range the Mac is handing out? I have a close friend with a PS3. I will take my iBook over there tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I am sure they will let me try.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks I appreciate that! I look forward to hearing about your results.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I think I'll try posting on the playstation forum as well, although I need mac specific instructions..

Reaction score
I was under the impression that SONY does not want people bogging down their network with sub-par bandwidth. Are you expecting to be able to game on 3G network, or do you just want to be able to update system and software?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to my friends house last night. I did not want to push as they had it all set up for their WiFi network with a Linksys WRT54GL router. I did look over the configuration briefly and everything was set to Automatic and it was getting an IP Via DHCP from the Linksys. I am still wondering if for some reason the PS3 does not like the different subnet handed out by the Mac? Normal routers use 192.168.1.? or 192.168.0.? and not 10.0.1.?. I will do some checking online and get back. They did not want me changing settings which mildly bothered me but hey, it's theirs.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ya since it found all their stuff automatically, it really wouldn't have been hard to set back up, but thats okay, im still plugging away trying to get 'er up and running. I think i will go check walmart for some kind of usb wireless access point device and see if that will get the ps3 to stop with the DNS errors. I'm so clueless and have gotten no help on the PlayStation forum.. One person actually told me to throw away my iphone and macbook, and to go get a blackberry and a pc and a router. Yeah right! Love my mac world.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was under the impression that SONY does not want people bogging down their network with sub-par bandwidth. Are you expecting to be able to game on 3G network, or do you just want to be able to update system and software?

I just wanted to do an update and check out the sony store, no online gaming for me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sell your Mac, iPhone because a PS3 will not connect to ICS? Mac haters are amazing! :D

I will get back to you today. I will almost bet though a Access Point would work but if you can wait just a bit more I might find something so you will know for sure what is going on.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ya I can't believe what some people will say!! I mean obviously my set up is working, considering Ive been able to connect the wii! Thanks a lot for trying to help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ya I can't believe what some people will say!! I mean obviously my set up is working, considering Ive been able to connect the wii! Thanks a lot for trying to help!

The Wii seems easy to set up. I have set up a few in Wifi for friends and never had one issue. My friend did say they have heard many have issues connecting to some WiFi networks.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will try that. I am just about to go into walmart to see if i can find some sort of "usb wifi dongle" which worked for someone who was using an iphone!! I'm not sure if they will sell something like this but I'm on a mission!!

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I bought a Belkin router, I didn't see anything there that was usb and allowed you to share an internet connection. I don't know if it will work but ill keep you posted.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do keep us posted.

I take it nothing in that thread helped? Sorry. I was hoping something would work for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.