Verification Problem

Reaction score
Hello,
Doing routine maintenance my notebook (2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, OSX 10.4.11) has told me it needs me to boot it from a bootable disk in order to properly Verify the HD, as there is a problem with the disk. The computer is running fine but I want to repair whatever problem there is before it becomes visible to me. I've tried a number of bootable disks but the notebook refuses to recognise them. I've tried a number of ways of "pointing" it to the CD-drive (holding down C at boot up, Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-Del, &c). How can I get the machine to Verify the disk? Could I do it by starting it in Target mode and running Verify from my other notebook (which has Leopard)?
Best

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What sort of disks are you trying to boot from?

Are they:

- grey/silver disks?
- did these grey/silver disks come with the computer, or did you purchase them separately?
- retail "black" OS retail install disks that you purchased?

If they are grey/silver disks...and you bought or acquired them sometime after you purchased the MacBook...then they are probably not the correct disks for your computer (they are model specific).

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And you need the Tiger OS X.4 full retail install DVD if you do not have the original discs as pointed out by Nick. The 'other notebook' discs will most likely not work.

OP
M
Reaction score
Disks

Thanks for your reply.

3 of the disks are silver/grey -- I can't recall which one came with the computer. I have 3 other Macs of various sorts.

1 disk was a Tiger upgrade disk. It's black with a large X on it.

I'll keep looking to see if there are any other disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
The Black one with the X is the retail version and that one is the correct one to use when you want to verify your HD.

On the grey disks, I use a marker pen and write the machine it came with on the disk face so I do not confuse then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.