Every time I restart my imac 10.5.8, the dock "loses" all the apps I've dragged on

ELM

Reaction score
I have tried control + click, however the message "keep in dock" does not consistently show up for every app. I'd like to permanently delineate folders and apps that are on my dock and have it stay the same regardless of restart, power on, power off, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? Needless to say I am really irritated about the amount of time I have to waste everytime I update my software, rebuilding my dock.

Thanks so much in advance. I'm not a superuser but I can follow directions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Control + click? Message "keep in dock"?
I don't know what you are doing based on your description, but if you are having problems with your dock, repair disk permissions, drag com.apple.dock.plist from user/library/preferences to your desktop, and reboot.
Setup your dock again how you want it.
Should be fixed and you can delete that plist from your desktop.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When you installed those apps that disappear, how did you go about doing so? Did you drag and drop them into the Applications folder?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
My guess is that you are only mounting the dmg file and when it opens you do keep it in the dock or whatever. I don't think that will work because every time you restart or shut down your machine it will unmount the dmg file and the short cut goes byebye.

You need to drag the files from inside the dmg file into the applications folder. Then when you open the application you can do the "Keep in dock" thing and it will stay there.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Crimson. I have a feeling that is what the OP is doing. If not, check CWA's question also.

Let us know.

OP
E

ELM

Reaction score
Control + click? Message "keep in dock"?
I don't know what you are doing based on your description, but if you are having problems with your dock, repair disk permissions, drag com.apple.dock.plist from user/library/preferences to your desktop, and reboot.
Setup your dock again how you want it.
Should be fixed and you can delete that plist from your desktop.

This worked like a charm. Thanks very much for the advice. I restarted it again after I rebuilt it and it's all there. Saved me a bottle of Tylenol it did. Thanks!:D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for coming back and letting us know which method worked. It will help someone else down the line with the same issue. Glad you got it all sorted!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.